Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org> on 2019/04/01 16:22:02 UTC

Commons Config in 1.9.3

So I am trying to track down why we upgraded commons config from 1.6 to
1.10.  This upgrade is problematic for a bug fix release for a few
reasons.  For one, the changes in 06d80292
<https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/659> break semver by adding new
methods inherited from ClientConfiguration.  Then Keith ran into problems
trying to run Map Reduce for continuous ingest. Keith opened an issue here:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues/1065

I don't think this change should go in a bug fix release but I think it
would be good to know why this was done in the first place.  I am going to
test a branch with this upgrade reverted.

Re: Commons Config in 1.9.3

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.
Yeah there was a lot of thought put into this since it was the whole reason
we went to a 1.9 release line.

My branch that reverts the change:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/1068

Re: Commons Config in 1.9.3

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I doubt there's any more leaks of this, but it's possible it leaks
transitively, via one of those dependencies in our "allow" ruleset for
apilyzer-maven-plugin:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/master/core/pom.xml#L191-L212

However, users can avoid issues with the older version by simply
deploying 1.10 instead of the 1.6 that we've built against.

We could further mitigate this by changing the version that ships in
our assembly, to make it newer than the version that we compile
against.

If there is an issue with commons-collections, specifically, we can
exclude and/or override that version from the commons-configuration
1.6 declaration in the POM. But again, users could simply drop in the
newer version of that.

Re: Commons Config in 1.9.3

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.