Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Mark Stephen S. Florencio" <st...@asti.dost.gov.ph> on 2009/09/23 04:10:57 UTC

Recording issues

Good day,

I have a question. I am not sure if this is already addressed or not.

Sometimes recorded scripts by HTTP proxy fails during replay. What are the factors contributing to this?

My situation is like this. I did trials of recording scripts via the proxy. It worked well. After a while, I was not able to continue making scripts so I put them aside. Then the day I would make the actual scripts testing the same application came. I recorded new scripts exploring new functionality on the same system. The recent recorded scripts' replay failed. I could not understand it. I did exactly the same as when I did my trial runs. But the new scripts always fail their replay.

It a good thing that I was able to save some of the scripts I had during the trial run. I got the log-in samplers from the scripts from the trial and got bits and pieces of samplers in the recently recorded scripts. The script worked fine now.

I would just like to know what could have caused this scenario so that it could be avoided because I plan to endorse using Jmeter to my team.

Re: Recording issues

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23/09/2009, Mark Stephen S. Florencio
<st...@asti.dost.gov.ph> wrote:
> Good day,
>
>  I have a question. I am not sure if this is already addressed or not.
>
>  Sometimes recorded scripts by HTTP proxy fails during replay. What are the factors contributing to this?

The browser handles cookies; JMeter needs a Cookie Manager to do so.

Similarly you may need to add an Authorization Manager.

If the browser runs any client-side scripts that generate variable
data, you will need to work out how to generate them from the previous
response(s).

See:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/DifferentBehaviour

Re: Recording issues

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi
Some factors are
a. Cookie managers/ session ids / authorization related data (e.g. old
session ids in the url)
b. dynamic data that is dependent on the previous step (e.g. __Viewstate in
asp.net , duplicate form submit tokens )
c. Inherent unrepeatability of certain tests (e.g. registering with the same
userid , you need to parameterize)
d. Javascript driven dynamic fields etc.

see also
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/DifferentBehaviour
which is related.

The recording of script is just to give you a head start - its rarely the
finished script that you should run. You should inspect what the script
does, what data needs to be parameterized, what assertions need to be added
, etc.
regards
deepak