Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/11/11 16:39:43 UTC

Time for 9.0.0.RC1

All,

I think we have reached the point where it makes sense to roll a
9.0.0.RC1 release. To summarise:

- Tomcat Native is available with ALPN, SNI and OpenSSL BIO
- HTTP/2 is implemented
- Servlet API is up to date with latest 4.0. draft (plus some tweaks
  of my own)
- No movement on WebSocket, EL or JSP.

I need to fix all the unit test failures r1713869 appears to have
triggered but, assuming that is fairly quick, I plan on tagging
9.0.0.RC1 some time tomorrow.

Mark

Re: Time for 9.0.0.RC1

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> > The announcements, download page, which version etc. will all make it
> > clear that this a work in progress.
> >
> > To make it clearer, I'll label the version M1 (milestone 1) rather than
> > RC1.
> >
> > This naming is new in Tomcat. It could be just M, with 9.0.0.M, then
> 9.0.1.M, etc. Or 9.0.0.Alpha. Or 9.0.0.M1 as you said, then 9.0.0.M2 until
> it gets to 9.0.0.Alpha/Beta/etc once the relevant specifications are out.
> Either way, it's 1+ years of alphas ahead.

I think the best for Tomcat would be: M1, M2, ..., 9.0.0, 9.0.1, ...
No need of alpha/beta/rc.
The current approach with releasing X.0.0 as non-stable works quite well!
More people start to test/use it earlier and report problems.

Re: Time for 9.0.0.RC1

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Time for 9.0.0.RC1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 11/11/15 10:39 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I think we have reached the point where it makes sense to roll a
>> 9.0.0.RC1 release. To summarise:
>>
>> - Tomcat Native is available with ALPN, SNI and OpenSSL BIO
>> - HTTP/2 is implemented
>> - Servlet API is up to date with latest 4.0. draft (plus some tweaks
>>   of my own)
>> - No movement on WebSocket, EL or JSP.
>>
>> I need to fix all the unit test failures r1713869 appears to have
>> triggered but, assuming that is fairly quick, I plan on tagging
>> 9.0.0.RC1 some time tomorrow.
>
> What's the wild-guess for when servlet 4.0 will be final? It seems odd
> to me to release 9.0.0 (I know this is an RC, but eventually...) that
> adheres to a spec when the spec itself isn't final.

First half of 2017 was the last date I saw.

> Because of the way we do version-numbering (9.0.0 - 9.0.x are all beta,
> then declared stable at some point), I think it can be confusing to
> users who download "Tomcat 9.0.x" that implements "Servlet 4.0" and find
> that the product is actually a beta for an incomplete spec.

The announcements, download page, which version etc. will all make it
clear that this a work in progress.

To make it clearer, I'll label the version M1 (milestone 1) rather than RC1.

> I definitely think that we need to have 9.0-branch releases *prior* to a
> final spec -- just to get something out there in the wild that people
> can use to test... I just want to make sure that users understand that
> the version numbers mean. An "RC" can reasonably be considered
> alpha/beta/whatever but there has been a lot of confusion in early e.g.
> 8.0.x where folks had problems didn't realize it wasn't considered
> stable, yet.

Hopefully the milestone label will help with that.

Mark

Re: Time for 9.0.0.RC1

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 11/11/15 10:39 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> All,
>
> I think we have reached the point where it makes sense to roll a
> 9.0.0.RC1 release. To summarise:
>
> - Tomcat Native is available with ALPN, SNI and OpenSSL BIO
> - HTTP/2 is implemented
> - Servlet API is up to date with latest 4.0. draft (plus some tweaks
>   of my own)
> - No movement on WebSocket, EL or JSP.
>
> I need to fix all the unit test failures r1713869 appears to have
> triggered but, assuming that is fairly quick, I plan on tagging
> 9.0.0.RC1 some time tomorrow.

What's the wild-guess for when servlet 4.0 will be final? It seems odd
to me to release 9.0.0 (I know this is an RC, but eventually...) that
adheres to a spec when the spec itself isn't final.

Because of the way we do version-numbering (9.0.0 - 9.0.x are all beta,
then declared stable at some point), I think it can be confusing to
users who download "Tomcat 9.0.x" that implements "Servlet 4.0" and find
that the product is actually a beta for an incomplete spec.

I definitely think that we need to have 9.0-branch releases *prior* to a
final spec -- just to get something out there in the wild that people
can use to test... I just want to make sure that users understand that
the version numbers mean. An "RC" can reasonably be considered
alpha/beta/whatever but there has been a lot of confusion in early e.g.
8.0.x where folks had problems didn't realize it wasn't considered
stable, yet.

-chris