Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by la...@opensource.lk on 2004/08/05 11:37:53 UTC

RE: STL elimination - Suggestions

Hi All,

   There are some STL string used in AxisClientException which is
generated by the tool. To eliminate these which are expose to client is
it necessary to remove stl string from API's expose to client.

Lahiru Wimalasiri

> Hi Lahiru,
>     What are the WSDL files that you used to check this?
> Thanks,
> Samisa...
>
> --- lahiru@opensource.lk wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have checked the generated code and already there are no any stl
>> expose
>> to the client.
>>
>> Lahiru Wimalasiri
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >        I have fixed the memory leaks in the string class and tested
>> with
>> > the code. It works fine with the code and need to be further
>> > testing. I suggest eliminate stl so that it is not exposed to
>> > client although it is used inside the engine. There are several
>> > advantages by doing this.
>> >
>> > 1) Ability to support C. Other wise we need extra wrappers.
>> > 2) Some times users may face portability challenges if STL is exposed.
>> > 3) It is easier to manipulate an STL string, but char* is the standard
>> > string format in C/C++. so giving char* instead of STL string, gives
>> the
>> > user more flexibility.
>> >
>> > Lahiru Wimalasiri

>> be

Posted by la...@opensource.lk.
Hi All,

Very few of the current api header files has methods which has stl string
as its arguments and return types. It is good if we could eliminate them.
Then even if Axis C++ engine internally use stl it does not expose stl to
its users.But this change may lead corresponding changes to the wsdl2ws
tool.
In tool generated files also in AxisClientException class there are some
stl string 's are used.

Lahiru Wimalasiri