Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by gcobb <gc...@midsouth.rr.com> on 2003/01/14 17:33:48 UTC

[users@httpd] CGI Help

I did a fresh install and Apache seems to be working other than CGI.
It's telling me that I don't have permission, period.  I've changed
owners and groups of the /var/www/cgi-bin/ dir and made things
executable, but it isn't helping.  The commonhttpd.conf and httpd.conf
files look okay but I'm not making progress.

Is there anyone who can help me with it or otherwise point me in the
direction of some simple documentation so I can get this working?

Thanks!

RE: [users@httpd] CGI Help

Posted by gcobb <gc...@midsouth.rr.com>.
Here's what I just got when trying to go here on my site:

http://www.chatsouth.net/squirrelmail-1.4.0-rc1/

It came back in error_log with this:

[Fri Jan 17 10:11:21 2003] [error] [client 192.168.1.1] client denied by
server configuration: /var/www/cgi-bin/php

Re: [users@httpd] CGI Help

Posted by Tom Ray <to...@blazestudios.com>.

RE: [users@httpd] CGI Help

Posted by Michael Olds <Mi...@themozone.net>.
tell us your OS...are you using a Debian distro? If so it is set up with
SuEXEC enabled and there are a number of problems that can come up in
relation to that. (tell me! still digging my way out of this one!)

use: $ apache -l and see if you get a line telling you that SuEXEC is
enabled.

Best Wishes!
Mike Olds www.buddhadust.org

RE: [users@httpd] CGI Help

Posted by gcobb <gc...@midsouth.rr.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] CGI Help

Posted by Tom Ray <to...@blazestudios.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] CGI Help

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Please don't top-post.  My rants on this are all over the list, so feel
free to ignore along with so may others :)

gcobb wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Here's what I have as far as CGI goes in my config file:
>
>    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/cgi-bin/
>    ScriptAlias /protected-cgi-bin/ /var/www/protected-cgi-bin/

Since you have problems, why complicate things with multiple paths?

>    <IfModule mod_perl.c>
>        #Provide two aliases to the same cgi-bin directory,
>        #to see the effects of the 2 different mod_perl modes
>        #for Apache::Registry Mode
>        Alias /perl/ /var/www/perl/
>        #for Apache::Perlrun Mode
>        Alias /cgi-perl/ /var/www/perl/

And still another?

>    </IfModule>
>
><Directory /var/www/perl>
>    AllowOverride All
>    Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews ExecCGI
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from all
></Directory>

Seems OK.

><Directory /var/www/cgi-bin>
>    AllowOverride All
>    Options ExecCGI

Permissions?
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all

></Directory>
>
>AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

This is security risk.  Anything with .cgi becomes executable.  Better
to segregate executables to dedicated directories.  Unless you really
need it, comment out.

>LoadModule cgi_module         modules/mod_cgi.so
>AddModule mod_cgi.c
>
>Here's what the error log said when I tried to access this:
>
>http://www.chatsouth.net/squirrelmail-1.4.0-rc1/

Some redirection here?

>[Fri Jan 17 10:11:21 2003] [error] [client 192.168.1.1] client denied by
>server configuration: /var/www/cgi-bin/php

I suppose there's some reason for multiple aliases and paths and their
associated permission and access rules.  You can always try the 'whack
it back' method of debugging.  Dupe the site on a local machine, and
comment out all but the baseline config (assuming that works).  Then add
one thing at a time 'til it breaks.  That point will be your clue ;)
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---

RE: [users@httpd] CGI Help

Posted by gcobb <gc...@midsouth.rr.com>.
Hi,

[...]

Any help would be appreciated, and if I need to put all this in a new
thread let me know.

Thank you,
Greg

Re: [users@httpd] CGI Help