Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Aleksandersen <al...@runbox.com> on 2008/04/28 03:22:48 UTC

[users@httpd] HTTP “Location” header responds question

Hi list,

Really a question about the HTTP standard, but I had nowhere else to ask it.

May I include the HTTP “Location” header when not redirecting using a 3##
redirect status? I am considering including the Location header with the
preferred absolute URI on a 200 OK status.

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.30
--
Daniel

[users@httpd] HTTP “Location” header responds question

Posted by Daniel Aleksandersen <al...@runbox.com>.
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> > Really a question about the HTTP standard, but I had nowhere else to ask
> > it.
> >
> > May I include the HTTP "Location" header when not redirecting using a
> > 3## redirect status? I am considering including the Location header with
> > the preferred absolute URI on a 200 OK status.
> >
> >  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.30
>
> That sounds like a job for Content-Location, rather than Location.
>
> My reading is that Location has exactly two places: 3xx and 201

It would not be non-standard. The responds would probably not be used by
anyone for anything. But if you read about the Location and Content-Location
header, I think the latter should not be used to convay the preferred
location of a resource. That is the job of the Location header. Even if it is
not used to rediciret, but marly inform about the preferred location.
--
Daniel Aleksandersen

Re: [users@httpd] HTTP “Location” header responds question

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
<al...@runbox.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
>  Really a question about the HTTP standard, but I had nowhere else to ask it.
>
>  May I include the HTTP "Location" header when not redirecting using a 3##
>  redirect status? I am considering including the Location header with the
>  preferred absolute URI on a 200 OK status.
>
>  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.30

That sounds like a job for Content-Location, rather than Location.

My reading is that Location has exactly two places: 3xx and 201

Joshua.