Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/09/09 19:42:08 UTC

Re: svnadmin dump/load proposal

Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com> writes:
> My company is working on porting Subversion to OS/400, an EBCDIC system.
> As a side note, things are actually going pretty well with this port
> although it has been a lot of work.
> We are currently running into a problem with svnadmin dump and load
> because of the way OS/400 handles pipes and redirections, specifically it
> wants to convert the stream to/from EBCDIC which would make the dump files
> not portable across platforms.  It would simplify things greatly for us if
> svnadmin dump/load had an optional final parameter added to specify the
> dump file name.  The code could then just open the dump file itself and
> read/write to it.  This would allow us to maintain control of the
> environment and the character encodings and avoid the EBCDIC conversion.
> Of course the current behavior would remain the default.
>
> We are prepared to work on and submit this patch, but want to know if it
> is likely to be accepted before we bother as it seems like the sort of
> change some people might feel strongly about.  If it is something that is
> likely to be accepted, then we will develop and submit it independent of
> the EBCDIC stuff we are doing which should keep it cleaner and make it
> easier to review.

I have no objection to the proposed feature.  Suggest that you post a
detailed spec first -- give the option's name(s), and its exact
behavior.  That way people know exactly what they're evaluating.

-K

Re: svnadmin dump/load proposal

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.
"Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> wrote on 09/09/2004 05:44:27 PM:

> kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com> writes:
> >> My company is working on porting Subversion to OS/400, an EBCDIC
system.
> >> As a side note, things are actually going pretty well with this port
> >> although it has been a lot of work.
> >> We are currently running into a problem with svnadmin dump and load
> >> because of the way OS/400 handles pipes and redirections,
specifically it
> >> wants to convert the stream to/from EBCDIC which would make the dump
> >> files
> >> not portable across platforms.
>
> And it provides no way to turn this off? Ewww.
> What are you supposed to do if you are redirecting binary data (which
> dumpfiles are, really)

There might be a way to control it, we are definitely going to investigate
those options more before we go down the patch route.  Even though OS/400
offers a Unix-like environment and shell, it is not used very often and
not at all in "traditional" OS/400 programs.  So there might be a way to
do pipes and redirection using the normal OS/400 interfaces and we will
investigate that as well.

> > I have no objection to the proposed feature.  Suggest that you post a
> > detailed spec first -- give the option's name(s), and its exact
> > behavior.  That way people know exactly what they're evaluating.
>
> Karl seems to have assumed above that you are planning:
>
> svnadmin load --someoptionname DUMPFILE REPOSITORY
> svnadmin dump --someoptionname DUMPFILE REPOSITORY
>
> instead of:
>
> svnadmin load REPOSITORY DUMPFILE
> svnadmin dump REPOSITORY DUMPFILE
>

> I think I like the --option better too.
>
> Likewise, no objections to the feature, if OS/400 really doesn't supply
any
> way to say "my stdout/stdin is binary, not textual".

I was thinking the latter as you pointed out.  I have no objection to
using a --option though.  Does --dumpfile or --file sound right?  I will
check back in with more details if we cannot find a workaround that uses
the current technique.

Thanks

Mark

Re: svnadmin dump/load proposal

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.
"Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> wrote on 09/09/2004 05:44:27 PM:

> And it provides no way to turn this off? Ewww.
> What are you supposed to do if you are redirecting binary data (which
> dumpfiles are, really)

Just a quick update, we found an environment variable we can set that
causes the shell to treat files as binary during redirection.  That solved
our problem so we will not be pursuing this patch idea.

Thanks

Mark

Re: svnadmin dump/load proposal

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com> writes:
>> My company is working on porting Subversion to OS/400, an EBCDIC system.
>> As a side note, things are actually going pretty well with this port
>> although it has been a lot of work.
>> We are currently running into a problem with svnadmin dump and load
>> because of the way OS/400 handles pipes and redirections, specifically it
>> wants to convert the stream to/from EBCDIC which would make the dump
>> files
>> not portable across platforms.

And it provides no way to turn this off? Ewww.
What are you supposed to do if you are redirecting binary data (which
dumpfiles are, really)

>>  It would simplify things greatly for us if
>> svnadmin dump/load had an optional final parameter added to specify the
>> dump file name.  The code could then just open the dump file itself and
>> read/write to it.  This would allow us to maintain control of the
>> environment and the character encodings and avoid the EBCDIC conversion.
>> Of course the current behavior would remain the default.
>>
>> We are prepared to work on and submit this patch, but want to know if it
>> is likely to be accepted before we bother as it seems like the sort of
>> change some people might feel strongly about.  If it is something that is
>> likely to be accepted, then we will develop and submit it independent of
>> the EBCDIC stuff we are doing which should keep it cleaner and make it
>> easier to review.
>
> I have no objection to the proposed feature.  Suggest that you post a
> detailed spec first -- give the option's name(s), and its exact
> behavior.  That way people know exactly what they're evaluating.

Karl seems to have assumed above that you are planning:

svnadmin load --someoptionname DUMPFILE REPOSITORY
svnadmin dump --someoptionname DUMPFILE REPOSITORY

instead of:

svnadmin load REPOSITORY DUMPFILE
svnadmin dump REPOSITORY DUMPFILE

I think I like the --option better too.

Likewise, no objections to the feature, if OS/400 really doesn't supply any
way to say "my stdout/stdin is binary, not textual".

Max.