Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Brian M Dube <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/08 04:11:34 UTC

Forrest and CMS

For those that use a CMS framework to manage a Forrest site, do you edit
the generated files or the source files with the CMS application?

I like that with Forrest I can work with source files that are marked up
structurally and I don't have to dig through presentational markup to
find what I need to edit. Do I lose this if I add, say, Lenya to the
equation?

I remember discussion of a Lenya plugin for Forrest. Or was it the other
way around? How does that situation look regarding my first question
above? I'm interested to hear how people use Forrest with a CMS, such as
Lenya or Daisy.

Thanks,
Brian

Re: Forrest and CMS

Posted by Brian M Dube <br...@gmail.com>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Actually I do not use the forrest lenya plugin in this work (DOCO) since
> I found a "better" way to connect them with the dispatcher. The lenya
> plugin here on forrest is IMO the step in the wrong direction. I think
> one should add forrest specific support to lenya (with usecases) and use
> the dispatcher to connect forrest to the lenya content.

What do you do instead of using the Lenya plugin? I noticed I had to
locally deploy the Lenya plugin in order to run Forrest from
$FORREST_HOME/whiteboard/doco. I would like to help test this area, but
I'm also interested in your specific configuration.

Thanks,
Brian

RE: Forrest and CMS

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El dom, 09-04-2006 a las 19:39 +0800, Gav.... escribió:
> HI Thorsten,
>
> Which version of Lenya is needed for this, I guess trunk of 1.4 ?

Like stated in
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/lenya/sandbox/doco/README.txt?rev=387483&view=markup
"You need to have the svn head of lenya and forrest
## Install forrest/lenya
Follow
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/build.html
and
http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/installation/source_version.html"

In Lenya the trunk is the unreleased 1.4.x version (like cocoon trunk is the unrelease 2.2.x version of cocoon).

HTH
salu2

RE: Forrest and CMS

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
HI Thorsten,

Re: Forrest and CMS

Posted by Brian M Dube <br...@gmail.com>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>>You mean doco. ;)
>>
>>Yes I did, but check your default DOCO Index page, it says "docu(united
>>forrest/lenya) and then ... 'Welcome to docu' .
>

> Thanks. I fixed that now.

forrest.properties also has project.name=forrest-docu.

Brian

RE: Forrest and CMS

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mar, 11-04-2006 a las 18:20 +0800, Gav.... escribió:

> > > I deployed the lenya plugin and have the docu working.
> >
> > You mean doco. ;)
>
> Yes I did, but check your default DOCO Index page, it says "docu(united
> forrest/lenya) and then ... 'Welcome to docu' .

Thanks. I fixed that now.

> > > Excuse me for being stupid, but, what are your current objectives and
> > > current needs?
> >
> > You mean me or Brain?
>
> I meant you (or your Brain :) ).
>
> I also meant now that I have it running, what's next ?

The larger vision is
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Doco?highlight=%28doco%29

Next tasks are
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=114293483529254&w=2
"...
Well, we need to fix some issues to really use it:
- remove exit usecase to search indexing on all core lenya usecases (in
discussion on lenya dev - see above)."

DONE

"- make dispatcher aware of lenya resource types (I once added a resource
type action to the dispatcher lm but actually we need a different one
for lenya, since it keeps this information in a meta file). That means
we need to extend the dispatcher with meta data lookups. That makes it
possible to integrate different resource types (not only the xdocs based
ones). Forrest will then be able to easiely bypass its internal format
by looking up which structurer to use for the certain resource type."

DONE

"- fix BXE editing in doco to have WYSIWYG editing for xdocs."

DONE

"- add more forrest specific resource types like howto, ... to doco
- develop strategy to import forrest site-author/ into doco and make it
editable.
- develop strategy of live instance of doco (including commits of edit
content, ...)
...and a lot more... ;)"

OPEN

More task with lenya:
- create forrest enabler usecase in lenya/doco. We need a basic usecase that adds forrest
specific files to a lenya pub.
- create a forrest export usecase in lenya/doco. We need a basic usecase that
communicate via ant with forrest and invoke e.g. forrestbot, forrest site, ...

The most important thing we need to solve here on forrest is:
"develop strategy to import forrest site-author/ into doco and make it
editable."

We should install doco on the zone and start using it like cocoon is using Daisy.

Thanks Gavin for testing that is very important for us and is helping *a lot*.
I wish more people would do that.

salu2

RE: Forrest and CMS

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

Cheers

Gav...

RE: Forrest and CMS

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El lun, 10-04-2006 a las 21:38 +0800, Gav.... escribió:

You mean me or Brain?

RE: Forrest and CMS

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

Re: Forrest and CMS

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 07-04-2006 a las 21:11 -0500, Brian M Dube escribió:
> For those that use a CMS framework to manage a Forrest site, do you edit
> the generated files or the source files with the CMS application?

The source, otherwise you would need html as input format for forrest.
Possible but not that nice.

> I like that with Forrest I can work with source files that are marked up
> structurally and I don't have to dig through presentational markup to
> find what I need to edit. Do I lose this if I add, say, Lenya to the
> equation?

no

Re: Forrest and CMS

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Brian M Dube wrote:
> For those that use a CMS framework to manage a Forrest site, do you edit
> the generated files or the source files with the CMS application?

I use Daisy as a CMS and use Forrest to publish static sites. Of course
the sources come from the CMS. I'm not really sure what the advantage of
editing Forrest generated files with a CMS would be.

> I like that with Forrest I can work with source files that are marked up structurally and I don't have to dig through presentational markup to find what I need to edit. Do I lose this if I add, say, Lenya to the
> equation?

No

> I remember discussion of a Lenya plugin for Forrest. Or was it the other
> way around? How does that situation look regarding my first question
> above?

Recently there has also been a little work on creating a plugin to
support Lenya as a source format for a Forrest site, but it is very
early days for that plugin.

> I'm interested to hear how people use Forrest with a CMS, such as
> Lenya or Daisy.

The Daisy plugin is pretty much complete. It is still in the whiteboard
because it doesn't really have community support yet and would probably
benefit from more eyes on it. Being in whiteboard means that either it
is not complete or that there are not enough Forrest committers using it
(I believe I am the only one using it and therefore supporting it).

You may be interested to know that the Cocoon docs for 2.1.x are
generated by Forrest from a Daisy CMS.

Ross