Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2014/01/05 10:45:28 UTC

OO Memory usage: rough test

I've been conducting a little experiment over the past hour. Running OO 4.0.1 on Xubuntu 13.10, I monitored memory usage of OpenOffice.
I found that as long as OpenOffice was in use, it did not fully release memory used by earlier files even though these had been closed.

I monitored total computer memory in use when OO was open at the Splash screen. The idle condition of the computer was 142 MB. Memory in use commenced at 172 MB with OO open with no file, increased to 292 MB with a text file of 58K words, reduced to 289 MB when that file was closed, then increased to 324 MB on opening a 70 slide presentation (optimised to about 4MB), reduced to 318 MB when that was closed and after OO was closed it reverted to 149 MB.

Perhaps (and I only say perhaps!) this internal use of memory by OpenOffice is a factor in the reported crash/file loss problem; when OO is running 24/7, one can suspect from the above rough test that internal resources might be consumed, leading to a crash or wierd behaviour. I am aware that experienced users, as those on the dev list, will restart their computer and/or applications regularly, but inexperienced users overlook doing this.

Perhaps OO memory allocation and usage should be reviewed? If someone comes up with a monitoring batch file for linux, I'm quite happy to allocate a spare machine to run this for an extended period and return the results. (Xubuntu or Ubuntu preferred, but I will install anther linux distro if needed).

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: OO Memory usage: rough test

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 08:22:27 -0500
> Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 4:45 AM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>> > I've been conducting a little experiment over the past hour. Running OO 4.0.1 on Xubuntu 13.10, I monitored memory usage of OpenOffice.
>> > I found that as long as OpenOffice was in use, it did not fully release memory used by earlier files even though these had been closed.
>> >
>> > I monitored total computer memory in use when OO was open at the Splash screen. The idle condition of the computer was 142 MB. Memory in use commenced at 172 MB with OO open with no file, increased to 292 MB with a text file of 58K words, reduced to 289 MB when that file was closed, then increased to 324 MB on opening a 70 slide presentation (optimised to about 4MB), reduced to 318 MB when that was closed and after OO was closed it reverted to 149 MB.
>> >
>> > Perhaps (and I only say perhaps!) this internal use of memory by OpenOffice is a factor in the reported crash/file loss problem; when OO is running 24/7, one can suspect from the above rough test that internal resources might be consumed, leading to a crash or wierd behaviour. I am aware that experienced users, as those on the dev list, will restart their computer and/or applications regularly, but inexperienced users overlook doing this.
>> >
>> > Perhaps OO memory allocation and usage should be reviewed? If someone comes up with a monitoring batch file for linux, I'm quite happy to allocate a spare machine to run this for an extended period and return the results. (Xubuntu or Ubuntu preferred, but I will install anther linux distro if needed).
>> >

>> I could dedicate a Windows virtual machine to running such a test as
>> well, for hours or days.   Is this something that can be done in a
>> macro, e.g., take a directory of files and load each one, close, and
>> load the next, repeating in a loop?
>>
>> -Rob
>
> That's what I had in mind, Rob. It would need to write some record of activity/memory usage on each loop.
> --

If that is easy to get that info from within AOO, sure.  But even
without that it should there are tricks.  For example, Windows has a
standard perfmon utility, which can write out a time series of metrics
like per-process memory use.  So if AOO just wrote out its own time
series data, giving time and file iteration, for example, it would be
possible to then correlate the two time series.

-Rob

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.