Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Stefan Seefeld <se...@sympatico.ca> on 2004/12/11 02:54:13 UTC

RFE: a flag to 'svn checkin' to set a user defined revision property

hi there,

I'd like to suggest an enhancement to the 'svn checkin' frontend:

Some users may be interested in combining a subversion repository
with an issue tracker in multiple ways, for example to audit
checkins that are related to a particular issue, or to update
a particular issue after a (successful) checkin.

Right now the way to do that is to embed some token into the
'log' property, and then use either the pre-commit or the post-commit
script to detect that token and act according to it (usually this
token would be an issue number or something related).

However, I'v always felt this approach a bit hackish, as the log
message seems to me tagetted more at the human eye than at a
parser.

I'd thus prefer to be able to use a (custom) property such as
'issue'. Ideally, I'd like to be able to write my checkin command
as 'svn commit -m "rewrote 'foo'" -p issue=bug25 foo.cc',
i.e. some fictitious '-p' flag would allow me to provide a name/value
pair for a revision property.

Further, I imagine that such an addition would be particularly
interesting for graphical interfaces to subversion, where such
annotations could be provided via the GUI (i.e. a 'checkin' button
could be enabled only once the 'issue' field has been filled in).

Does this make sense ?

Regards,
		Stefan

Re: RFE: a flag to 'svn checkin' to set a user defined revision property

Posted by Stefan Seefeld <se...@sympatico.ca>.
Peter N. Lundblad wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>

>>I'd thus prefer to be able to use a (custom) property such as
>>'issue'. Ideally, I'd like to be able to write my checkin command
>>as 'svn commit -m "rewrote 'foo'" -p issue=bug25 foo.cc',
>>i.e. some fictitious '-p' flag would allow me to provide a name/value
>>pair for a revision property.
>>

> Thanks for the proposal. This looks like issue #1976.

Indeed. Thanks for working on this !

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> I'd thus prefer to be able to use a (custom) property such as
> 'issue'. Ideally, I'd like to be able to write my checkin command
> as 'svn commit -m "rewrote 'foo'" -p issue=bug25 foo.cc',
> i.e. some fictitious '-p' flag would allow me to provide a name/value
> pair for a revision property.

Thanks for the proposal. This looks like issue #1976.

Regards,
//Peter