Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2013/07/26 10:50:37 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.6 - RC2 *

Let's not discuss stuff in the VOTE thread, that makes it harder to
keep track of everyone's vote.

Thanks,

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.6 - RC2 *

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hit this link: http://people.apache.org/~aharui/LocaleTest/LocaleTest.swf

For me on Mac OSX 10.6.8, I can change the System Preferences/Language to
something else and only the last value (Capabilities.language) changes.

Source is below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
               xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" minWidth="955"
minHeight="600"
               applicationComplete="dotest()" >
    <fx:Declarations>
        <!-- Place non-visual elements (e.g., services, value objects)
here -->
    </fx:Declarations>
    <fx:Script>
        <![CDATA[
            import flash.globalization.LocaleID;
            import flash.globalization.StringTools;

            public function dotest():void
            {
                locales.text =
StringTools.getAvailableLocaleIDNames().toString();
                stringTools.text = new
StringTools(LocaleID.DEFAULT).actualLocaleIDName;
                localeid.text = new
LocaleID(LocaleID.DEFAULT).getLanguage();
                capabilities.text = Capabilities.language;
            }
        ]]>
    </fx:Script>
    <s:layout>
        <s:VerticalLayout />
    </s:layout>
    <s:Label id="locales" />
    <s:Label id="stringTools" />
    <s:Label id="localeid" />
    <s:Label id="capabilities" />
</s:Application>

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Crap, this got stuck in my mailbox.

On 7/29/13 2:27 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>

>> On 7/29/13 11:32 AM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Did you look into having the installer pick up the language based on the
>> current locale settings?  I saw you set the default to en_US, but maybe
>> missed the other change.  From a look around the internet, it wasn't
>>clear
>> that StringTools would return the current locale if like me, I have an
>> English Max OSX but picked, for example, japanese as the current
>>language.
>>
>> On the other hand, I think it has been this way for a while, so maybe it
>> isn't worth fixing right now.
>>

>We are using StringTools(LocaleId.DEFAULT).actualLocaleIDName right now.
> Which according to the docs [1] seems to be doing what you want, right?
>
>[1] DEFAULT:String - flash.globalization.LocaleID
>Indicates that the user's default linguistic preferences should be used,
>as
>specified in the user's operating system settings. For example, such
>preferences are typically set using the "Control Panel" for Windows, or
>the
>"System Preferences" in Mac OS X.
It is not working for me, at least on Mac OSX 10.6.8.  I even built out a
simple test app that calls StringTools and the results do not reflect
System Preferences.  The only thing that worked for me was
Capabilities.language.

If it is working for others then it don't worry about it.

-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.6 - RC2 *

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > So are you okay with calling this bug fixed? ;-)
> No sure it's fixed but not being able to trigger it is good enough for me.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

FWIW, Installer RC1 had this exact issue which I fixed in Installer RC2.  I
have a doubt that you might have been running Installer RC1 when you ran
into that issue.

I will push out RC3 vote soon.

Thanks,
Om

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.6 - RC2 *

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 29, 2013 2:31 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I am not sure why it looks like it is downloading RC3 for you.  Are
there
> > any specific combination of sdk/fp/air selections you are going through
> > hit this bug?
>
> Just tried and via the debugger with latest code and couldn't reproduce.
Couldn't see any issues in the code either.

> I retested with RC2 and was able to reproduce, the only difference I see
is that with RC2 Nightly is selected by default and you just select Next,
but with RC3 you need to change the selection.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:54 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looks like nightly option is downloading RC3 not the nightly release but
> not 100% sure - is this just a config issue?
>
> Justin

Justin, Nick,

I just ran the app through the debugger.  The Nightly is indeed dowloaded
from
https://builds.apache.org/job/flex-sdk_release/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/apache-flex-sdk-4.10.0-bin

I am not sure why it looks like it is downloading RC3 for you.  Are there
any specific combination of sdk/fp/air selections you are going through to
hit this bug?

Any ideas how I can reproduce this?

Thanks,
Om

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.6 - RC2 *

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Manish Sharma <ma...@hcl.com>.
The Link is Blocked here.

Yes the System is in wide restriction.
But I am able to download the Installer through https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/installer/2.6/rc2/binaries/

Should I go for https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/sdk/4.10.0/rc3/binaries/
For SDK, Is it the complete SDK. I can download that....

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Manish Sharma <ma...@hcl.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Manish,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Snap! Please ignore the the thread I just created and place all the discussion here.

Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.6 - RC2 *

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

> - Apache Flex 4.8 is not on the SDK List

This is intentional.  From 4.9 onwards, the TLF library has been included
with the SDK.  This changes the installation sequence and it is cumbersome
to support two different installation sequences in the same Installer
version.

Thanks,
Om

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.6 - RC2 *

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

A couple of very very minor issues:
- Nighty build defaults to AIR 3.7 not AIR 3.8 (if you're going cutting edge you might as well go all the way!)
- Apache Flex 4.8 is not on the SDK List
- README needs minor edits to fix in 80 chars
- README doesn't mention sdk-installer-config-3.0.xml or new directory when config files are stored
- FB defaulted to having the minimum of 11.7 not 10.2 which is actually correct. Not sure what we can do anything about this as FB has no concept of current and minimum version but I can see it may cause some confusion.

One issue may actually be an issue.
- Looks like nightly is downloading RC3 not the nightly release but not 100% sure - is this just a config issue?

The good news:
- MD5 check correct
- ASC check correct
- LICENSE, NOTICE, README etc all exist and have correct dates
- Can compile .dmg from source code package
- Installer installs and runs to completion, defaulted to en_AU locale
- Gererated a working SDK tested with a new project

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.6 - RC2 *

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Will take a look at all the feedback in this thread for the next RC.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.