Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2006/07/14 00:45:47 UTC

Bigbank application, was Rules for Revolutionaries

Rick wrote:
> If there are no issues I'd like to look at the bigbank sample
> converting to the new composite spec.  Besides the obvious need to
> change the SCDL,  I suppose refactoring the server (account) side to
> take advantage of the composite nature maybe see if includes can be
> used too.  Was there immediately more that you were thinking of ?
>
> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
>> Simon Nash wrote:
>>> Thanks, Sam; this is very helpful.  One part in particular of the
>>> James Duncan Davidson post caught my eye:
>>>
>>> <jdd>
>>> 4) The trunk is the official versioned line of the project. All
>>> evolutionary minded people are welcome to work on it to improve it.
>>> Evolutionary work is important and should not stop as it is always
>>> unclear when any particular revolution will be ready for prime time
>>> or whether it will be officially accepted.
>>> </jdd>
>>>
>>> I think we have failed to follow this guideline over recent weeks.
>>> People have submitted patches for the trunk and they have not been
>>> applied (or applied to a sandbox instead).  Technical discussions
>>> have started that in the normal course of events would have led to
>>> commits and patches, but these commits and patches have not been
>>> forthcoming.  This has generally led to progress on the project
>>> (except for sandbox activity) being stalled, presumably because
>>> people were waiting to see what would happen with the sandbox code.
>>>
>>> I believe we need to get the project moving forward again.  At the
>>> present time, we have an evolutionary trunk and a revolutionary
>>> sandbox.  We should therefore continue (in reality restart) doing
>>> evolutionary work on the trunk for the reasons that JDD gives in
>>> the quote above.  There is evolutionary work that can usefully
>>> be done, such as Raymond's work on databindings, the work on
>>> interface represenation that Ant and others have been discussing,
>>> Venkat's RMI binding, and the ongoing work on Java2WSDL.  I'm sure
>>> there are other things too.  If at some point there is a revolution,
>>> then we will deal with it when it happens and rework existing code
>>> as necessary.
>>>
>>> Revolutionaries can work in the "chianti" sandbox, or if they
>>> prefer a different brand of revolution, they can create another
>>> sandbox to do this.  The latter is perfectly legitimate according
>>> to the Rules for Revolutionaries, and I think it is healthy for
>>> the project for people to be able to show their new ideas in the
>>> form of code, as long as the project as a whole (i.e., the whole
>>> community) keeps moving forward with ongoing work on the trunk
>>> and doesn't focus exclusively on what is happening in the
>>> sandboxes.
>>>
>>>   Simon

>> Simon,
>>
>> I agree. I'm going to do some work on the samples in the trunk, I'd
>> like to evolve some of them (starting with the Calculator sample and
> [...]
Rick,

Sounds like a good plan, we could port the SCDL first and adjust to the
new APIs (for example ModuleContext becomes CompositeContext). After
this first pass, I suggest to write a Composite around the bigbank
moduleComponents (equivalent to an SCA 0.9 subsystem), and maybe also
use composite includes and/or nested composite implementations inside
the account composite.

--
Jean-Sebastien