Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nayana ABREU <ho...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/27 17:22:58 UTC

Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?

Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?

Thanks

--
Nayana Holanda de Abreu
holanda.nayana@gmail.com

Re: Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?

Posted by Nayana ABREU <ho...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much Curtis Rueden

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 27/06/2013 12:30 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:
> At some point
> you may become dissatisfied with <modelVersion>4.0</modelVersion model "limitations" in which case you will learn XML and become an expert and you will develop
> a)new ComplexTypes
> b)new XSDs that reference these new ComplexTypes
> c)create a new Model from the newly created XSDs
> d)build out a whole new (plexus-)classworlds-(newVersion).jar implementing the constructs from the new XSDs
>
> Eclipse deliberately obfuscates 99% of the  "unnecessary engineering details" from the eclipse operator(s)
>
> On the other hand
> *If* you can write a plugin for Eclipse (lets say a Android Terminal Emulator) you have my respect
> to write an eclipse plugin you will have to know xml (specfically plugin.xml) so eclipse can 'register' your plugin
> http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Plug-in-architecture/plugin_architecture.html
>
> the analogy of learning XML in order to properly implement Maven is
> if you purchase a Masserati but you are unable to drive a stick then it stays in the garage
That is a bit extreme. It is more like

"if you purchase a Masserati but don't take a performance driving course, you will not get as much use out of it as if you did."

You can build a multi-module Java application for the web in Maven, without doing anything more than editing with the GUI in Eclipse and occasionally copying and pasting some XML. This should be well within the capabilities of a competent Java programmer after reading the Maven docs and skimming one of the Maven books (do one or two example POMs from the book just to make sure that you are getting it).

Ron

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
At some point
you may become dissatisfied with <modelVersion>4.0</modelVersion model "limitations" in which case you will learn XML and become an expert and you will develop
a)new ComplexTypes
b)new XSDs that reference these new ComplexTypes
c)create a new Model from the newly created XSDs
d)build out a whole new (plexus-)classworlds-(newVersion).jar implementing the constructs from the new XSDs

Eclipse deliberately obfuscates 99% of the  "unnecessary engineering details" from the eclipse operator(s)

On the other hand
*If* you can write a plugin for Eclipse (lets say a Android Terminal Emulator) you have my respect
to write an eclipse plugin you will have to know xml (specfically plugin.xml) so eclipse can 'register' your plugin
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Plug-in-architecture/plugin_architecture.html

the analogy of learning XML in order to properly implement Maven is
if you purchase a Masserati but you are unable to drive a stick then it stays in the garage

Martin-

> From: cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
> To: users@maven.apache.org; rwheeler@artifact-software.com
> Subject: RE: Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?
> Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:54:20 +0000
>
> I agree wholeheartedly.
>
> Cody Fyler
> Lending Grid Build Team
> cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
> (515)-441-0814

Posted by co...@wellsfargo.com.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Cody Fyler
Lending Grid Build Team
cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
(515)-441-0814

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 27/06/2013 11:35 AM, cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com wrote:
> I would argue that to be a competent, modern computer programmer, you DO need to learn XML.
>
> There are many powerful things that can be accomplished once you have that knowledge.
You are right that in general XML is useful for lots of things and that
people who know lots of technologies have a much broader palette of
solution components However, the specific question relates to Maven and
you really do not need to have any more knowledge of XML than
understanding that <something> will be terminated by </something> and
that they can be nested.

You can use an IDE that will give you a graphic editor for your POM files.
You can cut and paste models of POMs.  Your graphic editor should spot
any XML validation errors.

Ron

> Cody Fyler
> Lending Grid Build Team
> cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
> (515)-441-0814

I picked up my XML skills over many years in bits and pieces here and there.

However this would be a great place to start:

http://www.w3schools.com/xml/

Basic XML is simple, especially if you've done HTML in the past.

Good luck and most importantly have fun!

Cody Fyler
Lending Grid Build Team
cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
(515)-441-0814

So, how long does it take to learn XML? Can you recommend me good sources, like webpages or books?

Thanks Cody

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM, <co...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> I would argue that to be a competent, modern computer programmer, you
> DO need to learn XML.
>
> There are many powerful things that can be accomplished once you have
> that knowledge.
>
> Cody Fyler
> Lending Grid Build Team
> cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
> (515)-441-0814

Posted by e9...@seznam.cz.
You'll learn XML during learning MAVEN .. its not so hard.

M.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
I am sure that you are right.

Posted by Brett Vanderveen <br...@gfs.com>.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/

Posted by Nayana ABREU <ho...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Cody,

> I would argue that to be a competent, modern computer programmer, you
> DO need to learn XML.

Indeed. But the question was: do you *need* to learn XML in order to learn
Maven? Well, no...

But yes, not understanding XML in today's technical landscape can be very
disadvantageous. So I agree with Cody that you may as well bite the bullet
on that one, Nayana. It doesn't really make sense to *avoid* learning XML.

Regards,
Curtis

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 03:35:26PM +0000, cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com wrote:
> I would argue that to be a competent, modern computer programmer, you DO need to learn XML.
>
> There are many powerful things that can be accomplished once you have that knowledge.

I tend to agree, but I think that "learn XML" is rather imprecise.

You can learn to read XML in about five minutes, and to write it in
ten.  It's really, really simple.  It also doesn't get you far at all.

What people *do with XML* is often highly complex, abstruse, and
intellectually challenging.  A Maven POM, expressed in XML (which it
always is, externally) can be daunting.  XSD, XSL-T, and a thousand
and one other *applications of* XML each have their own learning
curves, some rather steep and bumpy.

So I'd say, yes, you should "learn XML" if you want to use Maven, but
that's easy.  Learning Maven will require much more effort, but that
effort will be amply rewarded.

Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Nayana,