Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by atul <te...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/07 00:26:53 UTC

Wsdl and Axis

Is "message" style specific to Axis? If not, what can
we specify in binding style in wsdl (since wsdl specs
let's you specify only rpc or document)?
Also, can we achieve interoperability (for instance
with a .Net client understanding wsdl) by hosting my
service as 'message' style in axis?

tia
atul.

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Re: Wsdl and Axis

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
If you look through the archives you'll find a number of postings on the
differences between RPC, Wrapped, Document, and Message style services.

Axis WSDD RPC style generates a WSDL RPC/encoded style service.
Axis WSDD Wrapped, Document, and Message styles generate a WSDL
Document/Literal service.

Hence you can use Wrapped, Document, or Message style to improve .NET interop.
Wrapped and Document styles let Axis perform the serialization and
deserialization of messages. Message style leaves the serialization process
to the application. (Axis just hands your application the raw XML).

To summarize:

RPC:
- produces a parameterized RMI interface
- performs automatic serialization
- uses RPC/encoded
WRAPPED:
- produces a parameterized RMI interface
- performs automatic serialization
- uses doc/literal
DOCUMENT:
- produces a non-parameterized RMI interface (client must wrap parameters
in a JavaBean) - performs automatic serialization
- uses doc/literal
MESSAGE:
- uses a call interface passing XML
- applications must process XML