Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Kumar Gaurav <ga...@spsoftindia.com> on 2008/06/27 13:08:21 UTC

Does Lucene Java 2.3.2 supports parsing of Microsoft office 2007 documents...

Dear all,

Currently I am using Lucene jave 2.3.2 demo to parse Microsoft 2003 and 2007
docs and PDF files.

It is able to parse files with *.pdf, *.doc, *.xls etc.

But it does not search in files of Microsoft 2007 docs.

It shows indexing *.docx and other Microsoft 2007 doc files.

Does Lucene java supports parsing of extensions *.docx, *.pptx, *.mpp i.e.
Microsoft Windows 2007 documents?

If it supports, what should be done in Lucene demo 2.3.2 to search queries
on file with above mentioned extensions?

Thanks

Kumar

Re: Does Lucene Java 2.3.2 supports parsing of Microsoft office 2007 documents...

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Hasan Diwan wrote:
> The new ODF-compatible Office 2007 is not supported by POI.

Actually, it is, just not the version in trunk. You can download nightly
builds of the ooxml branch from
 	http://encore.torchbox.com/poi-svn-build/OOXML-Branch/

And there ought to be a formal beta release very soon now

Nick

Re: Does Lucene Java 2.3.2 supports parsing of Microsoft office 2007 documents...

Posted by Hasan Diwan <ha...@gmail.com>.
Kumar:
Assuming you want to index a pre-parsed document...

2008/6/27 Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>:
>> If it supports, what should be done in Lucene demo 2.3.2 to search queries
>> on file with above mentioned extensions?
The new ODF-compatible Office 2007 is not supported by POI. However,
you could write a JNI wrapper around OpenOffice, which does have this
support.
--
Cheers,
Hasan Diwan <ha...@gmail.com>

Re: Does Lucene Java 2.3.2 supports parsing of Microsoft office 2007 documents...

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Lucene doesn't actually support any of the document types. What happens
is that some program is used to parse the files into an indexable stream
and that stream is indexed. That used to be POI in the old days.

I confess I haven't used the latest demo, but I assume that under the
covers there's some program installed that Microsoft documents are
pushed through to get indexable tokens. So the real question is
whether that program handles the documents you're interested in.

I know this isn't very helpful, but you'll have to dig into this in some
detail if you really want to index Microsoft documents. If you don't
need to, then you don't need to waste time on this issue.

Best
Erick