Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com> on 2006/02/24 08:47:19 UTC

why use mod_jk?

After wasting time trying to configure mod_jk, I thought I'd just wipe
my mind free and just play dumb for a moment. If Apache can proxy
requests using mod_proxy, what is the benefit of using mod_jk as an
integration technique between httpd and tomcat, if integration is *not*
in-process, which I understand is not recommended for Tomcat 5.5?

Brad

Re: why use mod_jk?

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Brad O'Hearne wrote:
> After wasting time trying to configure mod_jk, I thought I'd just wipe
> my mind free and just play dumb for a moment. If Apache can proxy
> requests using mod_proxy, what is the benefit of using mod_jk as an
> integration technique between httpd and tomcat,

Faster up to 50% over mod_proxy by using constant connection pool.
Uses AJP protocol (binary HTTP)
Load balancing
Graceful shutdown of nodes in the cluster
Hot standby
Domain model clustering

> if integration is *not*
> in-process, which I understand is not recommended for Tomcat 5.5?

In-process integration is bad idea because most modern web servers
offer so called master-child mechanism, where the master process
monitors the child and recycles it in case of error.
If you put JVM inside web server process address space then you'll
be not able to have load balancing and multiple backend servers, and
if some cgi script kills your web server child process, it will kill
your application server as well.

Apache is using multiple child processes for serving requests, and
that would mean that you would need that many JVM instances.
Prefork mpm or Apache 1.3 creates a separate process for each client
connection, so for 100 concurrent client connections you would
end up with 100 JVM instances.

That's the reason why JNI was usable only on Windows or Netware which
mpm's have a single child process. Even on those, things like
MaxRequestsPerChild 10000 would try to kill the Tomcat after each 1000
requests. Since it would try to start a new instance befor killing the
old one, you'll end up in server crash.

So, totally unusable. Having process separation between web and
application server rises both stability and overall security.

Regards,
Mladen.

Which direction: mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp? (was: why use mod_jk?)

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>.
I suppose this question deserved its own thread. Before I spend any
more time trying to get this configured, I would like to know what is
the best way to proceed: mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp?

Thanks,

Brad

Re: why use mod_jk?

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Brad O'Hearne wrote:
>> I am looking forward to mod_proxy_ajp as it is supposed be a tiny bit
>> faster.
>
> You say you are "looking forward to mod_proxy_ajp" -- does this mean
> its not available yet, or you just aren't using it yet? While I am
> glad to learn now of mod_proxy_ajp, I guess this kind of adds to my
> frustration a bit -- what is the way to go now and why: mod_proxy_ajp
> or mod_jk?
mod_proxy_ajp is only for Apache 2.2 and higher.  We're still in the
process of moving to 2.2.

2.2.0 seems good, though, so you could jump right to it if you don't
have other issues.

--
Jess Holle

Re: why use mod_jk?

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>.
Jess,

Re: why use mod_jk?

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Re: why use mod_jk?

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Brad O'Hearne wrote:
> Ok, I understand what it is trying to do here. But I assume there is a
> connector that has to be loaded in Tomcat to enable listening for the
> ajp protocol on port 8009, no? Is there documentation about this
> anywhere?
 From Tomcat's side of the connection there is no difference to speak of
between mod_proxy_ajp and mod_jk.

--
Jess Holle

Re: why use mod_jk?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Feb 24, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Brad O'Hearne wrote:

> Question below:
>
> On Feb 24, 2006, at 2:05 AM, Bill Barker wrote:
>

>> "Brad O'Hearne" <br...@neurofire.com> wrote in message
>>> mod_proxy_ajp? Yet another twist. Its just hard for me to believe
>>> that
>>> "how do I integrate tomcat and apache httpd?" is such a mystery /
>>> unknown.
>>> This seems like it would be question #1 on any Tomcat FAQ.
>>>
>>> So where can I found out more about mod_proxy_ajp. Is there a Tomcat
>>> resource which explains the configuration of it?
>>>

>> Nope, since it all under the Httpd project :).  You can start with:
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html, and then move
>> on to
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_ajp.html.
>>
>> The simplest configuration looks like:
>>   ProxyPass /myapp ajp://localhost:8009/myapp
>
> Ok, I understand what it is trying to do here. But I assume there
> is a connector that has to be loaded in Tomcat to enable listening
> for the ajp protocol on port 8009, no? Is there documentation about
> this anywhere?

On the Tomcat side, there is no difference (really) between
whether the web server is using mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp.
Both use AJP for the link, so you'd use the AJP connector.

Re: why use mod_jk?

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>.
Question below:

Re: why use mod_jk?