Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/01/11 21:01:10 UTC

extra long URL attack

I'm pretty sure we deliberately fixed this bug as opposed to it just being
fixed by chance... but I thought I'd forward it anyhow.

Dean

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 11:52:05 -0500
From: John Robert LoVerso <jo...@loverso.southborough.ma.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list BUGTRAQ <BU...@NETSPACE.ORG>
Subject: Re: extra long URL attack

> but this extra long URL to my site running
>        Server version Stronghold/1.3 Ben-SSL/1.3 Apache/1.1.1.
> will show you the raw contents of the top directory

You're was the only server (that I tried) that this worked on.  In particular,
it does not work against Apache/1.2bX sites, including:

        Server: Stronghold/2.0b1 Apache/1.2b2

John

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, strick -- henry strickland wrote:

> I don't know about CGI attacks, but this extra long URL to
> my site running
>         Server version Stronghold/1.3 Ben-SSL/1.3 Apache/1.1.1.
> will show you the raw contents of the top directory
> rather than the /index.html file (using Netscape Navigator 3.0 solaris
> for a browser).

This works also for standard Apache 1.1.1. One solution is to turn off
indexing in Apache config. In your access.conf file, in Options just
remove the word Indexes.

Juri Kaljundi
jk@stallion.ee

This doesn't seem to work with Apache 1.1.1 on my Linux 2.0.27 box or NCSA
httpd 1.5.2 on Digital UNIX v3.2 41 alpha.

Maybe its just the apache SSL extensions somehow?

I tried using Netscape 3.01 both ELF and Win32, lynx 2.5 (linux), lynx 2.6
(Digital unix) and MS Internet Explorer on NT.

Sam

--

// Sam Schlansky
// sam@serve.com

PGP Public key available upon request and at webpage.