Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> on 2007/02/20 18:14:57 UTC

Native M3 release status

I'm currently working through building/testing the extensions and samples
across Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

Cpp: extension and samples look good (CppBigBank does not run on Mac as we
have no ws binding extension)

Ruby: Works fine on Windows and Linux (after fix I applied yesterday).
Currently re-structuring the extension to work with Mac, I think this should
be done by tomorrow.

Python: Basic sample runs fine across all platforms.

PHP: ? - I haven't built this yet

REST: partially tested on Win and Linux

So... there's still a fair bit to get through. Anyone care to fill in some
of the blanks?

Cheers,

--
Pete

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 13/03/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> Pete Robbins wrote:
> > Just a quick update.
> >
> > The doc is in order now (thanks Andy) and the distros are ok on
> > Linux/Mac.
> > I'm having to rework the source distro for Windows as there were some
> > errors
> > in the build settings. A few more minor changes to the build script to
> > make
> > the extensions optional and I'll be done.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> Cool. I just refreshed and it built OK on Linux, except that the PHP
> extension was not built at all even after doing configure
> --enable-all-extensions. It does not seem to be built by build.sh either
> but I guess it's ok... I'm assuming that you're not going to include the
> PHP extension in the release yet?
>
> One minor thing, extensions/ws/service/deploy.sh didn't work for me, the
> script looks for $APFULLDIR/modules/tuscany/module.xml which does not
> exist.
>
> I've tested the command line and REST samples and they worked.
>
> I can help test your release candidate on Linux when it's ready.
>
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

PHP is not included in the main build anymore. To build it you go to
sca/runtime/extensions/php and run build.sh. It has it's own autoconf/make
so this does a configure/make/make install triple. It will get deployed into
wherever $TUSCANY_SCACPP is set to.

I'll look in to the ws deploy problem

Thanks for your help.

--
Pete

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 13/03/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> Pete Robbins wrote:
> > Just a quick update.
> >
> > The doc is in order now (thanks Andy) and the distros are ok on
> > Linux/Mac.
> > I'm having to rework the source distro for Windows as there were some
> > errors
> > in the build settings. A few more minor changes to the build script to
> > make
> > the extensions optional and I'll be done.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> Cool. I just refreshed and it built OK on Linux, except that the PHP
> extension was not built at all even after doing configure
> --enable-all-extensions. It does not seem to be built by build.sh either
> but I guess it's ok... I'm assuming that you're not going to include the
> PHP extension in the release yet?
>
> One minor thing, extensions/ws/service/deploy.sh didn't work for me, the
> script looks for $APFULLDIR/modules/tuscany/module.xml which does not
> exist.

This looks like I've made a typo in the Makefile.am. I have module_DATA
instead of modules_DATA.

I've tested the command line and REST samples and they worked.

> I can help test your release candidate on Linux when it's ready.
>
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

Pete

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 06/03/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > tuscany_sca_ruby - RubyCalculator
> > tuscany_sca_python - PythonCalculator
> > tuscany_sca_ws - CppBigBank, RubyBigBank, PythonWeatherForecast
> > tuscany_sca_binding - HTTPDBigBank
> > tuscany_sca_rest - RestCalculator, RestCustomer, RestYahoo,
> > AlertAggregator
> >
> > Does that make sense? The WS, REST and SCA binding samples all require
> > a language extension, but users will need at least one language
> > extension anyway if they want to do any work with Tuscany!
> >

> SCA is mainly about assembly, so most useful samples will assemble
> components with dependencies on different extensions (WS, REST,
> different scripting languages) and it's going to be difficult to package
> them with individual extensions, or if we really want to do that we'll
> have to cut the samples in small chunks and IMO they won't be very
> interesting anymore.
>

> >> 3) Does anyone ever download the Linux binary release? In my
> >> experience the
> >> download source/build/install model is  used for the vast majority of
> >> Linux
> >> projects. We only produce a binary for a single Linux anyway so
> >> unless you
> >> are using RHEL3 you need to go via the source. It may make sense to
> >> have a
> >> Mac binary download but again this would be for Mac OS X Intel so of
> >> no use
> >> o the PPC Macs.
> >
> > This is a very valid point! I think we can drop the non-windows
> binaries.
>
> +1
>

> >> I would like to implement 1) and have a 3 downloads per extension:
> >> Linux/Mac
> >> source, Windows source, Windows binary.
> >> Samples would be included with the relevant extensions.
> >> The extensions would be:
> >>
> >> tuscany_sca - the core
> >> tuscany_sca_cpp - C++ language binding
> >> tuscany_sca_ruby - Ruby language binding
> >> tuscany_sca_python - Python language binding
> >> tuscany_sca_ws - Axis2c webservices binding
> >> tuscany_sca_binding - sca binding (based on ws binding)
> >> tuscany_sca_rest - rest binding
> >>
> >> 3 download artifacts for each.
> >
> > +1 I think it makes it nice and obvious what technologies are supported.
>

> If you do that, can we keep a single download as well? I'm concerned
> about the complexity that we are introducing here by releasing many more
> small packages and asking the user to put the puzzle together.
>
> I like the user experience I get with PHP, Python, Ruby, Apache Httpd or
> Spring for example. One download, unzip, build, run...
> - on Linux, one source distribution, then the configure tool can be used
> to build a subset or even better it only builds what can be built with
> the dependencies available in your environment
> - on Windows, one binary distribution, function gets activated or not
> depending on the presence of the required dependencies (for example the
> PHP support gets activated if you have a PHP runtime available)

For this (eventual) release I will be leaving everything in one download. If
I can get the PHP extension working then that can be included as well. If I
don't get the PHP into an acceptable shape soon I  will release a package
that contains no PHP and that can be released at a later date. This separate
PHP package could be a good example of how to create an extension.

Cheers,

--
Pete

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]
Andrew Borley wrote:
> [...]

>> tuscany_sca_rest - rest binding
>>
>> 3 download artifacts for each.
>
> +1 I think it makes it nice and obvious what technologies are supported.

If you do that, can we keep a single download as well? I'm concerned
about the complexity that we are introducing here by releasing many more
small packages and asking the user to put the puzzle together.

I like the user experience I get with PHP, Python, Ruby, Apache Httpd or
Spring for example. One download, unzip, build, run...
- on Linux, one source distribution, then the configure tool can be used
to build a subset or even better it only builds what can be built with
the dependencies available in your environment
- on Windows, one binary distribution, function gets activated or not
depending on the presence of the required dependencies (for example the
PHP support gets activated if you have a PHP runtime available)

Jean-Sebastien

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 2/28/07, Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 28/02/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2/28/07, Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think we have resolved the issues with the Python samples when mixed
> > > with
> > > Ruby and/or httpd so we have:
> > >
> > > Windows/Linux : core, cpp, ruby, python, ws, rest, sca
> > > Mac: core, cpp, ruby, python, rest
> > >
> > > Tomorrow I will try and integrate the PHP extension into the
> > distribution
> > > and hopefully get a release candidate out this week.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > Hi Pete,
> >
> > What was the fix? I'm wondering whether it could also be applied to fix
> > our
> > lingering PHP extension linux build problem.
> >
> > Simon
> >

> It was a mismatch in the expat library that Python includes and the one
> that
> Ruby or httpd use. To fix this we use LD_PRELOAD=<our python extension>
> before invoking Ruby (or starting httpd). This pulls in the expat that
> Python insists on and the other components are happy using that version.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Pete

Ok, thanks Pete. So maybe not a solution for PHP but interesting none the
less.

Regards

Simon

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 2/28/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> Pete Robbins wrote:

> >> sample for

> >> updated

> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension/src'

> >> -march=i386
> >> -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux
> >> such

> >> variable?

> >> generates

> >> <tuscany/sca/ruby/RubyCompositeContext.h>

> >> sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension

> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension'

> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension/src'

> >> -fexceptions
> >> file
> scope
> >> scope
> ā)ā
> >> > >> > >

> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension/src'

> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension'

> >> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby'

> >> there
> >> succeeds,

> >> linux are

> and

> >> will do. Ruby build change is in. I believe Simon has applied the PHP
> >> patch.
> >> I will post here when I've dropped in the extension loading/packaging
> >> patch. Hopefully in the next couple of hours.
> >>

> > All done (I hope).
> >
> > On windows the extension library is copied to the module folder so it
> > will
> > be in module/ and bin/
> > On linux a symbolic link is made from the module folder to the library
> in
> > the lib folder.
> >
> > I have not yet changed the code to only load xsd schema from the module
> > folder.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> I tried building the SCA Native runtime on my RHEL4 Linux and found 2
> minor issues with the PHP extension, following the instructions at
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/cpp/sca/runtime/extensions/php/README
>
> 1. It took me moment to decipher the "Go get the AVOCET branch from PECL
> cvs" and figure that it translates to:
> export CVSROOT=:pserver:cvsread@cvs.php.net/repository
> cvs export -r AVOCET pecl/sdo
> I guess it looks simple when you're using that CVS repository every day
> and know where to find that code :) it would help to have these
> instructions spelled out in the Readme or clearly visible on your PECL
> page.
>
> 2. I had to do the following to make the SCA build see the PHP SCA_SDO
> library.
> cd $PHP_SCA_SDO_LIB
> ln -s sdo.so libsdo.so
>
> Also a question on the PHP building instructions, which indicate
> configure ... --enable-fastcgi. Is this a requirement of the SCA/SDO PHP
> runtime, or do you also support mod_php built with --with-apxs2?

> [...]

Thanks for the comments.

1. What we really need to do of course is make a release of SCA_SDO so we
don't have to rely on CVS access but you make a good point so I've updated
the readme for now with your notes.

2. There is already a note about changing the name of sdo.so but I've tidied
it up a little and added your symbolic link example.

Fast CGI is note a requirement it's just what I happened to be testing with
when I extracted the configure line. I'll add a note to point this out.

Regards

Simon

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 2/22/07, Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 22/02/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Pete Robbins wrote:

> bindings
> the
> > the

> error

> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension/src'

> -I.

> > the

> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension'

> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension/src'

> > or
> > tuscany/sca/ruby/RubyCompositeContext.h:
> > >> > >

> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension/src'

> `/home/ajborley/workspace/TuscanyCPP/sca/runtime/extensions/ruby/extension'

> finds

> > > I've checked in a new version of extconf.rb which is more simple and
> > > works
> > > on Mac and RHEL.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > It looks like we have 3 sets of changes going on:
> > - packaging changes for the extensions
> > - Ruby build changes
> > -  PHP patches?
> >
> > Could you guys please post a message here when these changes are in
> > (even before you have an RC ready)? I have Ruby 1.8.5 and PHP 5.2
> > installed on my Linux RHEL4 and can build and try things out if it
> helps.
>

> will do. Ruby build change is in. I believe Simon has applied the PHP
> patch.
> I will post here when I've dropped in the extension loading/packaging
> patch.
> Hopefully in the next couple of hours.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Pete

yep. I applied a patch to the PHP extension (and one to the AlertAggregator
sample). I would hope I didn't mess up the Ruby extension. I posted
previously to the list about the two changes.

Simon

Simon

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
On 2/22/07, Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 21/02/07, Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > The Rest binding builds on Mac but is crashing when the SCARuntime loads
> > the extension which tries to register the reference binding extension. I'll
> > investigate that next.
> >

> The Rest binding is crashing because of the way TuscanyRuntime loads the
> extensions. We load every library we find under the extensions folder.
> Unfortunately one of these is tuscany_sca_mod_rest which is not an extension
> but does link with one. So we load this library and discover it isn't an
> extension, then unload it. Next up we load the tuscany_sca_rest_service
> extension but for some reason the load is not calling the static
> initializers, maybe because this library has already been loaded as a
> separate instance when loading mod_rest. Removing the tuscany_sca_mod_rest
> library from the extension path resolves the problem.
>
> This goes back to a problem discussed on an earlier thread where we agreed
> to change the extension loading so that only libraries in a "modules" folder
> would be loaded. The layout of an extension will look like:
>
> $TUSCANY_SCACPP/extensions
>     myExtension/
>       lib/
>           mylibs_that_arent_extensions.so
>       bin/
>       xsd/
>      any_other_folder/
>      modules/
>          libmyExtensionLibrary.so
>

> Only the libraries under modules will be loaded. Most likely these would be
> symbolic links to the library in the lib/ folder.
>
> I propose to make this change sometime today as it resolves a few problems.

+1 for this.
Andy

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Pete Robbins wrote:
> On 21/02/07, Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>> The Rest binding builds on Mac but is crashing when the SCARuntime loads
>> the extension which tries to register the reference binding
>> extension. I'll
>> investigate that next.
>>

> The Rest binding is crashing because of the way TuscanyRuntime loads the
> extensions. We load every library we find under the extensions folder.
> Unfortunately one of these is tuscany_sca_mod_rest which is not an
> extension
> but does link with one. So we load this library and discover it isn't an
> extension, then unload it. Next up we load the tuscany_sca_rest_service
> extension but for some reason the load is not calling the static
> initializers, maybe because this library has already been loaded as a
> separate instance when loading mod_rest. Removing the
> tuscany_sca_mod_rest
> library from the extension path resolves the problem.
>
> This goes back to a problem discussed on an earlier thread where we
> agreed
> to change the extension loading so that only libraries in a "modules"
> folder
> would be loaded. The layout of an extension will look like:
>
> $TUSCANY_SCACPP/extensions
>    myExtension/
>      lib/
>          mylibs_that_arent_extensions.so
>      bin/
>      xsd/
>     any_other_folder/
>     modules/
>         libmyExtensionLibrary.so
>

> Only the libraries under modules will be loaded. Most likely these
> would be
> symbolic links to the library in the lib/ folder.
>
> I propose to make this change sometime today as it resolves a few
> problems.
>
> Cheers,

Sounds good, +1 from me.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Native M3 release status

Re: Native M3 release status

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 21/02/07, Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/20/07, Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/20/07, Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm currently working through building/testing the extensions and
> samples
> > > across Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
> > >
> > > Cpp: extension and samples look good (CppBigBank does not run on Mac
> as we
> > > have no ws binding extension)
> > >
> > > Ruby: Works fine on Windows and Linux (after fix I applied yesterday).
> > > Currently re-structuring the extension to work with Mac, I think this
> should
> > > be done by tomorrow.
> > >
> > > Python: Basic sample runs fine across all platforms.
> > >
> > > PHP: ? - I haven't built this yet
> > >
> > > REST: partially tested on Win and Linux
> > >
> > > So... there's still a fair bit to get through. Anyone care to fill in
> some
> > > of the blanks?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Pete
> > >

> > All the WS, REST and Python samples run fine on my Windows system, but
> > I'm having a Python issue on Linux (I think because my Python is v2.4
> > and it seems hard to get it updated..)
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andy
> >

> On further investigation, it's actually not vary hard to update to
> Python 2.5 (well, run 2.5 alongside 2.4). What is hard is getting the
> Python ElementTree package to run happily within a Ruby environment.
> This is the case in the RestYahoo sample where we have a Ruby local
> client invoking a Python component. I get an exception thrown within
> the ElementTree code when it tries to load the xml.parsers.expat
> module (which is a binary library). I think this is due to Python
> needing to use its newer version of the expat lib than the one that
> Ruby must have loaded. There doesn't seem to be a way of upgrading the
> expat package on my system - the 1.95 version I have is required by
> 400 other packages!
>
> We could change the sample to have a Python client instead of Ruby, as
> it is more about demonstrating the REST extension rather than Ruby
> talking to Python, but it looks like we have a restriction here.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Not off the top of my head. You could try building Ruby against the expat
that Python needs???

Cheers,

--
Pete