Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/03 13:57:50 UTC

Quick svnadmin dump question

I'll finally be upgrading/migrating my 1.2.3 server over to 1.5.2 this
weekend. I have a large number of tags in my repository, each of which
is up to 1GB in size. These tags were created with basic svn cp
operations, copying the whole trunk directory to a tag or copying one
tag to another, for example.

Will each tag be represented in the dumpfile as the full contents of
that tag, or will it be represented similar to how the copy was
actually done, just a cheap copy?

Re: Quick svnadmin dump question

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:38, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2008, at 6:57 AM, Andy Levy wrote:
>
>> I'll finally be upgrading/migrating my 1.2.3 server over to 1.5.2 this
>> weekend. I have a large number of tags in my repository, each of which
>> is up to 1GB in size. These tags were created with basic svn cp
>> operations, copying the whole trunk directory to a tag or copying one
>> tag to another, for example.
>>
>> Will each tag be represented in the dumpfile as the full contents of
>> that tag, or will it be represented similar to how the copy was
>> actually done, just a cheap copy?
>
> Just a cheap copy.

Thanks. The dump/load cycle on my repository ran a lot faster than I expected.

Re: Quick svnadmin dump question

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
On Oct 3, 2008, at 6:57 AM, Andy Levy wrote:

> I'll finally be upgrading/migrating my 1.2.3 server over to 1.5.2 this
> weekend. I have a large number of tags in my repository, each of which
> is up to 1GB in size. These tags were created with basic svn cp
> operations, copying the whole trunk directory to a tag or copying one
> tag to another, for example.
>
> Will each tag be represented in the dumpfile as the full contents of
> that tag, or will it be represented similar to how the copy was
> actually done, just a cheap copy?

Just a cheap copy.

Blair

--