Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/31 20:08:43 UTC

Re: 2.1.0rc2 and 2.0.6rc2 (ServerInitScript WORKS in 2.1.0rc2 and does NOT WORK in 2.0.6rc2)

Pretty good newsŠ  The problem I was having was that my ServerInitScript
definition was inside the <vhost></vhost> definitions.  It needs to be
outside of them.  With the ServerInitScript in the global config space, the
server init capability is working properly in 2.1.0rc2.

However, the server init capability does NOT work properly in 2.0.6rc2  (It
is inoperative.)

Note that IMO it should be an error to try to set ServerInitScript in a
vhost definition, since the current behavior is that it's accepted but then
doesn't work.  This is not something to hold up the release for, IMO.

From:  Daniel Baker <ka...@gmail.com>
Date:  Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:00 AM
To:  "rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org" <ri...@tcl.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: 2.1.0rc2 and 2.0.6rc2 (ServerInitScript not working, trying to
debug)

HeyŠ

I spent a couple hours in gdb last night trying to debug that
ServerInitScript doesn't work in the main trunk (or in the current release.)

I have three virtual hosts defined, one for port 80, one for 443, and one
that's a redirect.

I see initialization occur for three rivet_server_conf contexts but only one
seems to have the server_init_script, global_init_script, and so forth,
properly initialized.

When Rivet_InitHandler is called, the rivet_server_conf context referred to
by the server_rec structure that's been passed in does not have the
server_init_script defined.

I request you wait on a release until this is fixed.  I offer the
explanation above in case that gives you a eureka moment and you know the
answer.  I'm also considering trying to bisect commits to find out when it
broke, as it was working earlier this year, I believe.

-karl

Re: 2.1.0rc2 and 2.0.6rc2 (ServerInitScript WORKS in 2.1.0rc2 and does NOT WORK in 2.0.6rc2)

Posted by Massimo Manghi <mx...@apache.org>.

On 10/31/2012 08:08 PM, Karl Lehenbauer wrote:
> Pretty good news… The problem I was having was that my ServerInitScript
> definition was inside the <vhost></vhost> definitions. It needs to be
> outside of them. With the ServerInitScript in the global config space,
> *the server init capability is working properly in 2.1.0rc2.*
>
> However, *the server init capability does NOT work properly in 2.0.6rc2
> *(It is inoperative.)

In fact ServerInitScript is not supported in 2.0. I can't recall exactly
why I never ported it back from trunk, but I probably have been
constantly thinking 2.1 release as 'imminent' every time I thought of
it, except that I never got on releasing it until now

> Note that IMO it should be an error to try to set ServerInitScript in a
> vhost definition, since the current behavior is that it's accepted but
> then doesn't work. This is not something to hold up the release for, IMO.

I'm going to check the docs. I think I explicitly said somewhere the
directives is valid at the server level, but we have 2 way to mean
'server level': either as argument of RivetServerConf and/or outside any
<VirtualHost ...> definition.

  -- Massimo