Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Brian Lawler <br...@tribenetwork.com> on 2004/02/03 19:37:05 UTC

TURBINE_USER using a native idMethod...

Turbine-ators-

Seems like many of the online docs and questions in the past have dealt
with extending TURBINE_USER, but I can't find any info on the preferred
method of changing the idMethod.  We need to use autoincrement for
generating this id, and the way I did this in Turbine 2.2 was to
actually change the TurbineMapBuilder.java file in the turbine jar
(gasp!)  It seems like T2.3 is trying to address the user generated
Torque approach, so is there now a better way to do this or should I
continue polluting my jar file with tribe.net specific extensions?

-B

Re: TURBINE_USER using a native idMethod...

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Brian Lawler wrote:

> The exercise of going from our tweaked up and vastly outdated 2.2
> version into 2.3 has also required that I take a good hard look at
> our  security implementation from top to bottom.  I am currently
> reviewing  the "User" interface and am forced to wonder, why does it
> not implement  getId()?  Is there some historical reason to have
> overlooked this  method?  For my architecture layer above Turbine I
> end up needing to  create a child Interface whose job it is to add
> that method which is,  of course, no big deal.  Just curious as to
> whether there is any  history I am missing out on...

The User interface most likely does not implement getId() because
depending on the underlying implementation there may not be an Id at all
(I think this may be the case for LDAP).  If you use the Torque Security
Service and plan on sticking with it it is relatively easy to obtain the
id bu casting to the underlying user class.

> Thanks again for all the great work!  T2.3 is a great improvement of
> T2.2 from what I have seen so far - just have to plow through all of
> these upgrade issues.  Out of curiosity, am I the only one on this
> list  who is still stuck on T2.2?  I am curious as to whether a
> compilation  of the issues I am encountering would be helpful or if
> this is all just  old news...

T2.3 is indeed a great improvement over T2.2 and the developers have my
thanks also.  Make sure you check the migration document
(http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2.3/howto/migrate-from-2_2-howto.html).
I am sure the list would be grateful for coverage of issues not covered
there (I would imagine there are still quite a number of people back on
T2.2).

BTW: If you use intake extensively I recommend that you build yourself a
turbine-2.3.1-dev.jar from the TURBINE_2_3 branch of cvs.

Regards,

Scott

--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

Re: TURBINE_USER using a native idMethod...

Posted by Brian Lawler <br...@tribenetwork.com>.
Scott-

Thanks for the quick reply!  I knew that there must have been something
to address what has long been a popular list topic.  I am currently
digging into that service and the rest of our code to get this upgrade
finished.

[...]

-Brian

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.