Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu> on 2019/08/31 01:42:21 UTC

draft - discuss message to general@

Hi,

I plan on sending the following message to start the discussion about
graduation on general@incubator.apache.org. Please let me know if you have
suggestions for improvement. I plan on sending the message tomorrow
afternoon.

Thanks,
Adina

___________________

The Apache Rya (incubating) community would like to start the discussion
about graduation to a top level project.

The Apache Rya (incubating) community discussed on the dev@ list about our
readiness for graduation [1] and we voted on it affirmatively [2,3]. While
in incubation, our community grew, we learned the Apache Way, and we had
four released with three different release managers. We went through the
process of assessing our project against the Apache Maturity model [4] and
we believe we are ready to graduate and continue to grow as a Top Level
Project.

We worked on creating a graduation resolution and we selected a Chair [5].
The draft resolution is appended below.

Please provide your opinion on this.

Thank you,
Adina

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/dd09c2060a754e69e093404e0d57239a555ab5e7d702cf76fd02f820@%3Cdev.rya.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/10f04a55e0f6d4c09d3ffeac487b0bf309eb8e5058f950778214faeb@%3Cdev.rya.apache.org%3E
[3]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d1664b17d8a6bf3d3e4e5f28382bc360fe974f1db8f880c6d97ff278@%3Cdev.rya.apache.org%3E
[4]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RYA/Apache+Maturity+Evaluation+for+Rya
[5]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3007163bc654df45109c38b4d9a53c7b2137ad0fef660429938a282b@%3Cprivate.rya.apache.org%3E

Proposed graduation resolution:

Establish the Apache Rya Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to scalable storage, retrieval, and analysis of RDF data.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Rya Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Rya Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to scalable storage,
retrieval, and analysis of RDF data; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Rya" be and hereby
is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of
the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Rya Project, and to
have primary responsibility for management of the projects within the
scope of responsibility of the Apache Rya Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Rya Project:

 * Aaron Mihalik     <mi...@apache.org>
 * Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@apache.org>
 * Billie Rinaldi    <bi...@apache.org>
 * Caleb Meier       <ca...@apache.org>
 * David Lotts       <dl...@apache.org>
 * David Rapp        <dn...@apache.org>
 * Jennifer Brown    <jb...@apache.org>
 * Josh Elser        <el...@apache.org>
 * Puja Valiyil      <pu...@apache.org>
 * Roshan Punnoose   <ro...@apache.org>
 * Steve R Wagner    <sw...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Adina Crainiceanu be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Rya, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Rya Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Rya podling; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Rya podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

--
Dr. Adina Crainiceanu
Associate Professor