Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Junkeira <ti...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/26 17:57:39 UTC

apache derby REPLICATION

Hi all,

  I used netbeans 6.0.1 with the default driver which is the Apache Derby.
 -Now I need to do replication so, anyone knows how to replicate DB using
apache derby?
- I'm also using glassfish, if is not possible with just Apache Derby, is it
possible to do with glassfish?
- If it does not do replication how is it possible that Apache Derby exists?
I thought that replication was a feature mandatory for any kind of software
that is call "open source relational database". So I think my alternative is
mysql?

thanks in advance

Re: apache derby REPLICATION

Posted by "John H. Embretsen" <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Junkeira wrote:
>   I'm short in time, does it really works? Have you already tried it?
>   How long it takes to get it work? I'm just asking because I have to
> tradeoff with changing to mysql.
>   E funciona bem?? :)

Allow me to jump in with some thoughts about this:

Yes, it really works. I have tried it briefly with master and slave on
separate hosts, and I got a good impression. It probably takes around
10-15 minutes to get relatively up to speed using it for the first time,
depending on your environment (for example host setup, embedded vs.
client/server, firewall settings, security policies, etc.) and past
experience. Although it has been tested extensively by developers and
quality assurance teams, it is still a brand new feature in the 10.4.1.3
release (which was announced yesterday), so there may still be some
small wrinkles to be ironed out. For more information, check out:

- The wiki page: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReplicationWriteup
- The Derby Server and Administration guide: (for example)
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/adminguide/cadminreplication.html
- The release notes & download page for the new release:
http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.4.1.3.cgi
- Current unresolved issues relating to Replication (includes bugs and
improvement requests): http://tinyurl.com/4jkxkh

This should give you enough information to get started and get an
impression about whether or not this feature suites your needs.

To use the 10.4.1.3 release with your current NetBeans version, you need
to download the release and point NetBeans to the jar files
(alternatively replace the old Derby/Java DB installation with this
one). The corresponding Java DB release (same code as Derby) is
available from http://developers.sun.com/javadb/downloads/index.jsp,
where you can also buy Java DB support.

--
John