Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2009/12/20 21:00:22 UTC

Re: svn commit: r892554 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk: ./ STATUS.txt java/org/apache/catalina/realm/JNDIRealm.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml webapps/docs/config/realm.xml

Hi Mark, Konstantin and everyone else,

On 20.12.2009 03:37, markt@apache.org wrote:
> Add support for a connectionTimeout attribute to the JNDIRealm

I know I voted fror it, but when going through the commits again I
wondered whether we should call is connectTimeout instead of
connectionTimeout. In fact is is a timeout for the connect phase and
once the connection is established the timeout has no more
functionality. connectionTimeout might suggest something like an idle
timeout or a read timeout or a how long a connection can be used thing.
Since idle and read timeouts exist in the JDK LDAP pool implementation
and might be added as future enhancements, it might be clearer to name
the new attribute "connectTimeout" instead of "connectionTimeout".

Comments?

I can add it to the status file, but if you and Konstantin comment
positively (and there are no votes), we can directly apply the change.

Regards,

Rainer

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2009/12/20 Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>:
> Hi Mark, Konstantin and everyone else,
>
> On 20.12.2009 03:37, markt@apache.org wrote:
>>
>> Add support for a connectionTimeout attribute to the JNDIRealm
>
> I know I voted fror it, but when going through the commits again I wondered
> whether we should call is connectTimeout instead of connectionTimeout. In
> fact is is a timeout for the connect phase and once the connection is
> established the timeout has no more functionality. connectionTimeout might
> suggest something like an idle timeout or a read timeout or a how long a
> connection can be used thing. Since idle and read timeouts exist in the JDK
> LDAP pool implementation and might be added as future enhancements, it might
> be clearer to name the new attribute "connectTimeout" instead of
> "connectionTimeout".
>
> Comments?

Oh, so there are
com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.timeout (this property)
com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.timeout
com.sun.jndi.ldap.read.timeout
// http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jndi/jndi-ldap.html

I like the current name, "connectionTimeout".  It looks well among
other connectionXXX attributes there. This configuration attribute is
important, because JNDIRealm supports alternateURL.

>From the language point of view, though I am not UK or US resident, I
think that the current name is better. E.g. from this phrase in the
above mentioned Sun document:
"The value of this property is the string representation of an integer
representing the connection timeout in milliseconds"

I know that there is a precedent of
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/net/URLConnection.html#setConnectTimeout%28int%29

but there is also
http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/apidocs/org/apache/commons/httpclient/params/HttpConnectionParams.html#setConnectionTimeout%28int%29

Thus I slightly prefer to keep the current name.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko