Posted to user@struts.apache.org by sudhi123 <su...@rediffmail.com> on 2009/03/29 22:54:58 UTC

Temporary user activity information storage problem....

Hello,

 We are building a struts based web application bit like a shopping cart.

 Right now the application is in its initial stages so it has to support few
users hence we are storing user information in http session. But eventually
application has to be scalable to support thousands of online users in a
glass fish cluster.

 Hence the session storage is not scalable, I thought of using a database
for user activity and deleting the rows when user logs out. But i can see my
performance is getting hit by this approach.

 I need a architecture help on this problem. can somebody help me on this ?

 thank you.

Re: Temporary user activity information storage problem....

Posted by Paweł Wielgus <po...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
i've been playing with terracota,
but it seems like it's just clustering jvm over many servers,
it works well, but i don't know if that will help You much with Your problem.
You can rethink a little about the problem and restate it here.
I don't know if EJB + temporary database sessions are ok or not for You,
and if they are not ok because they are traditional solution?

Best greetings,
Paweł Wielgus.

Posted by sudhi123 <su...@rediffmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
http://struts.apache.org/2.1.6/docs/parameter-filter-interceptor.html Struts ParameterFilterInterceptor governs access for parameters to the configured Action
as far as Temporary Tables ..when the DB session is quiesced Temporary Tables will be discarded.. (at least for the majority of Databases)
what should be stored where depends on the subsystems that will be configured with your shopping cart.. Enterprise systems usually will setup EJB containers to allow your client to either persist/retrieve entity bean values via RMI

anyone?
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
This message is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, we kindly ask you to  please inform the sender. Any unauthorised dissemination or copying hereof is prohibited. This message serves for information purposes only and shall not have any legally binding effect. Given that e-mails can easily be subject to manipulation, we can not accept any liability for the content provided.

> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:54:58 -0700
> From: sudhindrahs@rediffmail.com
> To: user@struts.apache.org
> Subject: Temporary user activity information storage problem....
>

> Hello,
>
>  We are building a struts based web application bit like a shopping cart.
>
>  Right now the application is in its initial stages so it has to support few
> users hence we are storing user information in http session. But eventually
> application has to be scalable to support thousands of online users in a
> glass fish cluster.
>
>  Hence the session storage is not scalable, I thought of using a database
> for user activity and deleting the rows when user logs out. But i can see my
> performance is getting hit by this approach.
>
>  I need a architecture help on this problem. can somebody help me on this ?
>
>  thank you.

Windows Live™ SkyDrive: Get 25 GB of free online storage.
http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_032009