Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Brad Nicholes <BN...@novell.com> on 2005/08/09 19:17:31 UTC

Single-maintainer platforms was Re: RTC killed the open source project

  But that is beside the point.  Nothing should block a release for an
extended period of time which apr-dbd apparently is.  There are
technical reasons why apr and apr-util is built together into a single
library on the NetWare platform.  99% of the time this is not a problem.
 But in this one case because of the refactoring of the LDAP code within
apr-util, changes in apr-util affected the build files for apr on
NetWare.
  NetWare is not blocking a release of anything.  It's code is ready to
go.  It is the fact that apr-dbd API's are not fully cooked and ready to
be released that is blocking things.  There have been other changes
within apr-util besides the NetWare build code that should be released
as well.  But they also can't be released because of apr-dbd.  If
apr-dbd is going to continue to hold up a release of apr-util for any
reason, it needs to be pulled off into it's own -dev branch until it is
ready.

Brad

Re: Single-maintainer platforms was Re: RTC killed the open source project

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On August 9, 2005 7:54:17 PM +0200 Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>
> wrote:
>
>> within apr (like libtool and some other files). It would be nice if
>> apr-util
>> could access apr cleanly via the apr-1-config mechanism, rather than
>> depending on build artifacts. This has been on my plate to fix for a
>> while,
>> but time has not been on my side.
>

> It's done that since before we went 1.0.  (I almost always build
> apr-util from an installed apr.)  Or, is there something else?  -- justin

I think you need apr in order to do a buildconf for apr-util, so if
you're building right out of svn it is needed, but perhaps not if you're
just compiling a release version.

-garrett

Re: Single-maintainer platforms was Re: RTC killed the open source project

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> But, we're not trying to do an apr-util release!
>
> Our policy (discussed before here on dev@) is that apr and apr-util are
> independent libraries that need not share version numbers or release
> cycles.
>
> Hence, Netware is blocking the apr (not apr-util!) release when every
> other platform allows them to be split up properly.
>
> If anyone else could fix Netware, we would have done so.  -- justin

Releasing an apr-util alongside apr is a simple thing to do, so to say
that it's "blocking" an apr release is a bit extreme.

However making sure that apr-util and apr can be released separately is
a good thing.

Apr-util still has some lingering dependancies on the unix build system
within apr (like libtool and some other files). It would be nice if
apr-util could access apr cleanly via the apr-1-config mechanism, rather
than depending on build artifacts. This has been on my plate to fix for
a while, but time has not been on my side.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Single-maintainer platforms was Re: RTC killed the open source project

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On August 9, 2005 11:17:31 AM -0600 Brad Nicholes <BN...@novell.com>