Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Shalin Mehta <sh...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/14 20:22:16 UTC

NiFi Extension Registry?

 Hey all,

I'm starting to cut my teeth on the extensibility of NiFi through Custom
Processors, and one of the big things on my mind is being able to manage a
catalog of them across an organization.

While watching the "BYOP" presentation given by Andy at DataWorks Summit
Barcelona earlier this year (awesome presentation, by the way!), there was
a really quick note of a future Extension Registry within NiFi Registry. I
dug around a bit and only came up with this Confluence page outlining ideas
for such a thing:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Extension+Repositories+%28aka+Extension+Registry%29+for+Dynamically-loaded+Extensions

Is there any more information out there around this effort, such as updated
notes or specific Jira(s) about it? I'd love to get a better sense of what
the community has in mind, and what the state of the addition is like these
days. Rolling my own incarnation through process and supporting tools is
where my head is currently sitting, but something more "permanent" and in
line with the direction of the Project is way more appealing.

Thanks much in advance,

Shalin

Re: NiFi Extension Registry?

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
The best mechanism is the dev mailing list. The Slack workspace provides an opportunity for live conversation, but interaction is limited by timezones, and the system of record for Apache discussions is the mailing list. A thread here will allow people to contribute across time/location and document the discussion for future reference.

As for beginning the code contribution journey, the best resources to start with are the Contributor Guide [1], which discusses the _process_ around contributing, and the Developer Guide [2], which discusses code concepts, behavioral patterns, testing, etc. If there is anything in here that isn’t clear, is incorrect, or needs updating, please let us know. A lot of this was written when the community was smaller and had a higher rate of experience/participation, in addition to the fact that obviously systems change over time. Improving these docs is a constant effort, and one of the places that new contributors actually provide the best feedback. We want to make the process accessible to everyone. Thanks, and looking forward to your involvement.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide>
[2] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/developer-guide.html

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

Re: NiFi Extension Registry?

Posted by Shalin Mehta <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: NiFi Extension Registry?

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.

Re: NiFi Extension Registry?

Posted by Shalin Mehta <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hey Bryan,

Re: NiFi Extension Registry?

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
The work for that would be part of NiFi so I don't think it is tied to
any specific registry release.

The REST APIs are already there in NiFi Registry, that is what the CLI
command for 'download-bundle' is calling.

Re: NiFi Extension Registry?

Posted by Mike Thomsen <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: NiFi Extension Registry?

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.