Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2004/12/08 05:37:53 UTC

handy trick for using branches

First, it's easiest to have a full checkout of every branch you work with,
rather than use "svn switch".

Since FORREST_HOME doesn't have to be set as an env. var (we need to update the
docs about this), all you have to do is put 'forrest' in your path.  I have
symbolic links set:

/usr/local/bin/forrest -> /home/dpb2/forrest/bin/forrest
/usr/local/bin/forrest_06 -> /home/dpb2/forrest_06_branch/src/core/bin/forrest

Now I can run "forrest" or "forrest_06" anywhere.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: handy trick for using branches

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>:
>
>>Dave Brondsema wrote:
>>
>>>Since FORREST_HOME doesn't have to be set as an env. var (we need to update
>>the
>>>docs about this), all you have to do is put 'forrest' in your path.
>>
>>That's cool. Do you think it's safe to just ask to set forrest in the
>>path? I mean, was FORREST_HOME used for a technical deficiency that has
>>been overcome or because of the need of it on some platforms?
>
> I don't know why FORREST_HOME was used.  As some say:
>
>>             - verba volant, scripta manent -
>>    (discussions get forgotten, just code remains)

:-))

> It seems to work fine without it in Linux and Windows XP.  A Solaris test would
> be good to do too.

IIRC, but this is just OTOMH, it was older Windows versions (W98 etc).

I was sincerely hoping that my memory was not correct and FORREST_HOME
was really never needed. In any case, since Windows 98 users are not the
norm, I'm nevertheless supportive of the idea of not making users set
FORREST_HOME unless they are having issues. It makes it all easier :-)

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rick Tessner <ri...@apache.org>.
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> /usr/local/bin/forrest -> /home/dpb2/forrest/bin/forrest
> /usr/local/bin/forrest_06 -> /home/dpb2/forrest_06_branch/src/core/bin/forrest
>
> Now I can run "forrest" or "forrest_06" anywhere.

Nice!  Thanks for this.

--
Rick Tessner
rick at apache dot org

Re: handy trick for using branches

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mié, 08-12-2004 a las 05:37, Dave Brondsema escribió:
> First, it's easiest to have a full checkout of every branch you work with,
> rather than use "svn switch".
>
> Since FORREST_HOME doesn't have to be set as an env. var (we need to update the
> docs about this), all you have to do is put 'forrest' in your path.  I have
> symbolic links set:
>
> /usr/local/bin/forrest -> /home/dpb2/forrest/bin/forrest
> /usr/local/bin/forrest_06 -> /home/dpb2/forrest_06_branch/src/core/bin/forrest
>
> Now I can run "forrest" or "forrest_06" anywhere.

Cheers for the tip.

I just used it for the lenya site. :)
--
thorsten