Posted to general@commons.apache.org by "B. W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com> on 2002/10/24 23:20:16 UTC

Re: Structuring A-C internally by language or concern?

"Stephen Colebourne" <sc...@btopenworld.com> writes:
> The current status document states that it is resolved that a-c is language
> agnostic. There is no statement however about how a-c will manage the
> multiple languages. So I've been musing...
>
> 1) One sub-project of a-c for each language, with each component effectively
> a sub-sub-project within the language (eg.
> commons.apache.org/java/collections)
>
> 2) One sub-project for each component ignoring language (eg.
> commons.apache.org/collections). But then what happens if that component is
> implemented in two languages?

I would prefer to see a flat structure in commons divided up by
component or subproject only.

I see language as just another "category" like Brian mentioned in his
first email to the reorg list
<20...@yez.hyperreal.org> quoted here for
convenience:

    Projects would self-organize into one or more "categories", and we
    have categories for lots of different things: languages (Java, Perl,
    Python, C, etc), stage of development (incubating, alpha, beta,
    mature, end-of-life), protocols (HTTP, SMTP, POP, etc), technologies
    (XML, etc) and generally what it does (server daemon, parser, regex,
    template engine, etc). The list of categories can always be expanded
    by this same project approval committee or the board. Something like
    Cocoon might be in categories "Java, XML, template engines, mature",
    or something...

-Fitz