Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brian Inglis <Br...@SystematicSw.ab.ca> on 2022/01/18 08:13:13 UTC

Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

You may wish to consider listing the Subversion packages available under
Cygwin on your Apache Subversion Binary Packages web page at

	https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

Cygwin has packaged subversion for at least 13 years since at least
1.4.6 and has a number of binary (also source) packages available for
installation using the Cygwin Setup program available from cygwin.com
with relevant package summaries available at:

https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/subversion.html		1.14.1-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/subversion-devel.html	1.14.1-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/subversion-gnome.html	1.14.1-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/subversion-httpd.html	1.14.1-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/subversion-perl.html	1.14.1-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/subversion-python.html	1.14.1-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/subversion-ruby.html	1.14.1-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/subversion-tools.html	1.14.1-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/subversion-debuginfo.html	1.14.1-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/cvs2svn.html		2.4.0-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/git-svn.html		2.34.1-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/kdesvn.html			2.0.0-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/kdesvn-debuginfo.html	2.0.0-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/svn-load.html		1.3-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/svn_load_dirs.html		1.9.2-2

Cygwin is an actively developed and maintained volunteer distro to
provide a POSIX compatible environment, including a variety of X
desktops and many GUI apps, with comprehensive choices of development
tools and libraries supporting pkgconf/pkg-config, under Windows, for
those who have to run that system, with 12k+ packages (174GB) available
from 70+ global mirror sites.

Cygwin provides a Unix emulation library, and uses the newlib C library,
contributes to its development, and cooperates with MinGW/-W64, Msys/2,
Wine, and other projects.

Cygwin is used as a Windows host for building many embedded systems,
including some by hardware vendors.

The Cygwin package build system design is based on portage and
simplifies and automatically handles many aspects of packages built with
autotools, configure/make scripts, cmake, and other common approaches,
from upstreams available from common mirror sites and source repos.

The overall approach is managed by volunteer RedHat project leads on
sourceware.org servers with many volunteer contributors and maintainers
some of whom are well known.

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 4:34 AM Brian Inglis
<Br...@systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:

> You may wish to consider listing the Subversion packages available under
> Cygwin on your Apache Subversion Binary Packages web page at
>
>         https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

Done in r1897773 (merged to publish).

Cheers,
Nathan

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 10:24 AM Daniel Sahlberg
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One small thing, the command for 64-bit is 'setup-x86_64' while the command for 32-bit is 'setup-x86.exe'. I think we should have it the same way for both. Since the file extension is not need on Windows, I'd suggest remove .exe from 32-bit.

Ah good catch! Fixed in 1897772.

Cheers,
Nathan

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Brian Inglis <Br...@SystematicSw.ab.ca>.
On 2022-02-04 08:23, Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
> Den tors 3 feb. 2022 kl 23:09 skrev Nathan Hartman:
>     Added to our staging site:
>     https://subversion-staging.apache.org/packages.html#windows-cygwin
>     <https://subversion-staging.apache.org/packages.html#windows-cygwin>
>     (Done in r1897742 and r1897743)
>     Feedback and corrections welcome!
> Thanks for doing this, looks great!
> One small thing, the command for 64-bit is 'setup-x86_64' while the
> command for 32-bit is 'setup-x86.exe'. I think we should have it the
> same way for both. Since the file extension is not need on Windows, I'd
> suggest remove .exe from 32-bit.

Thanks folks - LGTM - and agreed, as .exe is something we normally drop
in examples for compatibility, documentation, interoperability, and
standardization reasons!

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den tors 3 feb. 2022 kl 23:09 skrev Nathan Hartman <hartman.nathan@gmail.com
>:

> Added to our staging site:
>
> https://subversion-staging.apache.org/packages.html#windows-cygwin
>
> (Done in r1897742 and r1897743)
>
> Feedback and corrections welcome!

Thanks for doing this, looks great!

One small thing, the command for 64-bit is 'setup-x86_64' while the command
for 32-bit is 'setup-x86.exe'. I think we should have it the same way for
both. Since the file extension is not need on Windows, I'd suggest remove
.exe from 32-bit.

Kind regards,
/Daniel

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Inglis <Br...@SystematicSw.ab.ca>.

On 2022-01-21 08:04, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 1:10 PM Brian Inglis
> <Br...@systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:
>> On 2022-01-18 09:00, Nathan Hartman wrote:
>>> I think it makes sense to list it under the Windows heading to keep it
>>> near the other Windows-based options.

>> Curl lists it under but separate "Windows - Cygwin" which is similar to
>> their Linux distro listings and is probably clearer:
>>          https://curl.se/download.html

> Ah, thanks for this!
> What is the canonical way to install Subversion in the Cygwin
> environment? I ask because our Binary Packages page at
> https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html gives the command (e.g.,
> apt-get, pkg_add, brew, etc.) to install SVN on various Unices, so I'd
> like to do the same here.

 From OP:
"binary (also source) packages available for installation using the
Cygwin Setup program available from cygwin.com".

Cygwin offers users only a native Windows GUI executable Cygwin Setup
program (built using Cygwin autotools and Mingw tools) available for
x86_64 (and x86) arches downloadable from Cygwin [https://cygwin.com/]:

"...
Installing Cygwin

Install Cygwin by running setup-x86_64.exe
[https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe]

Use the setup program to perform a fresh install or to update an
existing installation. [https://cygwin.com/install.html]"
32 bit Cygwin
You have been warned. If you're still sure you really need a 32 bit
Cygwin, and there's absolutely no way around it, you may run the
setup-x86.exe installer. [https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe]
The signature can be used to verify the validity of this binary.
[https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe.sig]"

The Cygwin Setup program is manually downloaded (from home page via
browser, curl, wget/2, etc.) wherever the user decides and also supports
a command line interface which may involve GUI dialogs and windows
appearing, depending on how many of the many options you provide e.g.

-g, --upgrade-also       Upgrade installed packages also
-n, --no-shortcuts       Disable creation of desktop and start shortcuts
-P, --packages PKG,...   Specify packages to install
-q, --quiet-mode         Unattended setup mode
-r, --no-replaceonreboot Disable replacing in-use files on next reboot
-v, --verbose            Verbose output

: basic commands
 > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion,subversion-tools
: X GUIs
 > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-gnome,kdesvn
: file import utilities
 > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P svn-load,svn_load_dirs
: repo conversion utilities
 > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P git-svn,cvs2svn
: language interpreter bindings
 > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-perl,subversion-python,^
subversion-ruby
: Apache module
 > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-httpd
: developer/maintainer headers, import libraries, and debug info
 > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-devel,subversion-debuginfo,^
kdesvn-debuginfo

There are some command line alternatives available on github but due to
Windows restrictions they are unable to replace the core and active
library DLLs and exes while running those same DLLs and exes.

One of those is apt-cyg and there are many forks of that (including
mine) that will install or remove, but not upgrade all, packages and
also provides a convenient wrapper similar to apt/-cache/-get/-... for
other Cygwin commands useful to core DLL, utility, and package
maintainers as well as users.

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
<Br...@systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:
> On 2022-01-18 09:00, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > I think it makes sense to list it under the Windows heading to keep it
> > near the other Windows-based options.
>
> [Please CC/Reply All as I am not subscribed: forgot to mention that!]
>
> Curl lists it under but separate "Windows - Cygwin" which is similar to
> their Linux distro listings and is probably clearer:
>
>         https://curl.se/download.html

Ah, thanks for this!

What is the canonical way to install Subversion in the Cygwin
environment? I ask because our Binary Packages page at
https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html gives the command (e.g.,
apt-get, pkg_add, brew, etc.) to install SVN on various Unices, so I'd
like to do the same here.

Thanks,
Nathan

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Brian Inglis <Br...@SystematicSw.ab.ca>.
On 2022-01-18 09:00, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 4:50 AM Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
>> Thanks for your request. This sounds reasonable to me.
>> One question to consider is if this should be under the Windows
>> headline (which is reasonable since it is running under Windows) or
>> a separate headline. In some ways Cygwin behaves more like a
>> virtual machine running Linux (directory structure, line-endings)
>> than a normal Windows application.
>> I'm out of time for the moment but I'll circle back to the mail in
>> next week unless someone has a different opinion.

>> Den tis 18 jan. 2022 kl 10:34 skrev Brian Inglis:
>>> You may wish to consider listing the Subversion packages available under
>>> Cygwin on your Apache Subversion Binary Packages web page at
>>>          https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

> I think it makes sense to list it under the Windows heading to keep it
> near the other Windows-based options.

[Please CC/Reply All as I am not subscribed: forgot to mention that!]

Curl lists it under but separate "Windows - Cygwin" which is similar to
their Linux distro listings and is probably clearer:

	https://curl.se/download.html

and would allow for your selection from all Subversion binary packages
available on Cygwin to be listed without cluttering the native Windows
alternative builds.

The Cygwin project icon is available for display on your page from:

	https://cygwin.com/favicon.ico

also as SVG from Wikipedia:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cygwin_logo.svg

The curl page also distingushes between 32 and 64 bits, which will not
be necessary for Cygwin after the next major release 3.4, expected
sometime later this year, which will drop official support for 32 bit
Cygwin and packages (possibly at the option of their maintainers for
some further transition period):

https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2021-December/010338.html

although most releases and packages from current to ancient times (2003)
are still available to download and install on legacy Windows from:

http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html

and the maintainer already anticipates keeping 32 bit available from
there forever (depending on AWS!)

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian,