Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov> on 2011/07/19 00:07:11 UTC

Running Tomcat on a webserver that is on a workgroup

I've been informed that our web server is going to be disjoined from the domain and placed on a workgroup.  Is this a trend?

I don't understand how Tomcat will be able to access resources from our domain, and vice versa, unless I'm running Tomcat as a local account, and that same local account is created on the other servers on the domain.

It seems like I'm exploiting one security issue for another.

Leo Donahue

Re: Running Tomcat on a webserver that is on a workgroup

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX wrote:
> André,

or I add the local account from the workgroup to the domain server containing the file share.

That, as far as I know, is not possible. Ot let's say that it is at least self-defeating
(or self-contradictory) : if you add that account to the DC, then it becomes a domain
account, no ?
(And then of course the rightful question to ask would be what that changes, as compared
to the current situation).

>> What is the security issue that this change is supposed to cure ?
>
> Other than making administration more difficult, I was hoping someone could tell me.  Tomcat runs with a least privilege account anyway.  Is this a "feel good" thing?

On the base of the provided information, it can only give soothing feelings to someone who
does not really know what they are doing.  Or someone who got some instructions from
others who do not know what they are talking about (or don't care).  I'm thinking of some
global diktat like "no server than can be accessed from outside should be part of the
domain, period".

Of course, you can always
- create a local account on the other fileserver which contains the files which you need
to access
- give that local account permissions to access those files
- and then from your local Tomcat host, "net mount" that directory, providing the username
and password of the local account on the fileserver.
(And of course vice-versa if other systems need to access resources on the Tomcat host).

But, other than the fact that this is not easy to do if your Tomcat runs as a service, it
does indeed create a very confusing situation in terms of management, and more security
holes to boot. (Like the fact that the password would need to be in clear somewhere).

Perhaps you should just wrap up these various considerations and questions and send a memo
to the responsible people asking if that is really what they want ?

RE: Running Tomcat on a webserver that is on a workgroup

Posted by Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.
André,

Yes, trading is a better word.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX wrote:
> I've been informed that our web server is going to be disjoined from the domain and placed on a workgroup.  Is this a trend?

There is probably more to it than that.  Perhaps your webserver is being moved to some
"demilitarised zone" (DMZ) behind some kind of firewall, and since that firewall will
probably block SMB/CIFS/NetBios kinds of communications, effectively indeed it will no
longer be able to participate in a Domain.