Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/18 10:37:48 UTC

Re: Apache Tapestry 5.4-beta-1 preview release

I agree with Kalle.

Actually I don't know if we have to change the naming convention or not to
have a full release which is not really declared "stable" or "general
availability" (GA) but I've never seen a *-beta-1 release on repo1.maven.org

Anyway a more exposure of the current "beta" will produce an even more
stable GA release ...

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korhonen@gmail.com

--
Massimo Lusetti

Re: Apache Tapestry 5.4-beta-1 preview release

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I think we are in agreement. If you check the instructions for generating
an official release, the first steps are exactly what goes into a preview
release.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korhonen@gmail.com

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Apache Tapestry 5.4-beta-1 preview release

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Apache Tapestry 5.4-beta-1 preview release

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess the rationale here, changing from alpha to beta, is to say that an
> alpha is a work in progress with no backward compatibility promise in new
> APIs, while beta is more of a release candidate and something considered
> stable. Am I right? :)
>

> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 07:37:48 -0200, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  I agree with Kalle.
>>
>> Actually I don't know if we have to change the naming convention or not to
>> have a full release which is not really declared "stable" or "general
>> availability" (GA) but I've never seen a *-beta-1 release on
>> repo1.maven.org
>>
>> Anyway a more exposure of the current "beta" will produce an even more
>> stable GA release ...
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Kalle Korhonen <
>> kalle.o.korhonen@gmail.com
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>  Personally, I really think we should release/should have released the
>>> beta
>>> as a proper Apache release that has been voted on and that the the bits
>>> would have been released through official channels (published on /dist
>>> and
>>> maven central). Now nothing really changed between alpha and beta preview
>>> releases besides the tag.
>>>
>>> Kalle
>>>

>>> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com

>>> in
>>> two

>>> Staging

> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> http://machina.com.br

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Apache Tapestry 5.4-beta-1 preview release

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 15:54:01 -0200, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is it going to break things or be disruptive?  Then it may need to go in
> 5.5; otherwise it's fine IMO.

It's meant to be 100% non-disruptive, but I can only be sure after I run
all the tests. If it breaks anything, I'll hold it for 5.4 or 5.4.1.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Is it going to break things or be disruptive?  Then it may need to go in
5.5; otherwise it's fine IMO.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Apache Tapestry 5.4-beta-1 preview release

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.