Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "L.Austin" <L....@open.ac.uk> on 2004/06/10 16:56:00 UTC

HELP! - Cocoon Link following

Hi,

We are using Cocoon 5.0.12 and Tomcat 5.0.16

We are currently performing offline overnight rendering of a large
site... This offline generation takes around 5 hours to complete.
Also we are using cli as a starting point and allow cocoon to follow all
links.

We are in the middle of trying to reduce this time.. By comparing two
content maps (yesterdays and today's) we want to only
render (or follow links) that have changed.

However for links that have not changed we still need these to appear in
the finished generated page.
Is there a way of instructing cocoon to skip a 'href' link... but to
keep it in the page as a blue link????

Thanks in advance
Lk

Re: HELP! - Cocoon Link following

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
L.Austin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using Cocoon 5.0.12 and Tomcat 5.0.16
>
> We are currently performing offline overnight rendering of a large
> site… This offline generation takes around 5 hours to complete.
>
> Also we are using cli as a starting point and allow cocoon to follow
> all links.
>
> We are in the middle of trying to reduce this time.. By comparing two
> content maps (yesterdays and today's) we want to only
>
> render (or follow links) that have changed.
>
> However for links that have not changed we still need these to appear
> in the finished generated page.
> Is there a way of instructing cocoon to skip a 'href' link… but to
> keep it in the page as a blue link????

You are asking something that is surprisingly complex.

There is an undocumented feature that will only write a file to disc if
it has changed, but that doesn't speed the process up, unless you use
timestamps to upload only changed content to another server.

I have a design in mind that I think would work, but haven't had time to
implement it. Basically, it would use Cocoon's cache to look to see if a
page has changed since the page on disc was created. If it has, it
recreates it, caches it, grabs its links, and puts them into the cache
too. If a page has not changed, it ignores the cached version, grabs the
links from the cache, and follows them.

That should work, but I haven't had, and don't see me having time, to
try it.

Probably your best bet, in the meantime, is to generate a uri-file, and
have the CLI run from that, with link following switched off. If you can
create a file that contains the URLs of all pages that need to be
regenerated, the CLI would run happily from that, and you'd be sorted.

Upayavira