Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Plotnicki, Grzegorz " <gr...@citi.com> on 2007/07/23 19:10:15 UTC

Parent and relativePath

Hi,

I'm curious if it would be possible/feasible/in-line with maven
philosophy to be able to specify in the <parent/> tag ONLY
<relativePath/> tag or at least, if the <relativePath/> is present be
able to skip the <version/> tag?

That is, in the multi-module project, all the modules have to refer to
the parent pom with groupId, artifactId and version in the <parent/>
tag, thus duplicating what is already defined in the parent pom. In
addition, it's rather common for all the modules to share parent's
groupId and version -- groupId is ok, but version changes quite often
and going through all the modules and changing the common version seems
cumbersome and unnecessary -- especially, that <relativePath/> tag could
uniquely identify parent pom.

Or is there an easier way to achieve the same effect?

...[~_~]...
Let us leave pretty women to men devoid of imagination.
	-- Marcel Proust

Re: Parent and relativePath

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Plotnicki, Grzegorz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious if it would be possible/feasible/in-line with maven
> philosophy to be able to specify in the <parent/> tag ONLY
> <relativePath/> tag or at least, if the <relativePath/> is present be
> able to skip the <version/> tag?

It would be impossible, because the pom.xml needs to remain valid when
deployed into a repository, at which point the <relativePath/> would no
longer be of use.

> That is, in the multi-module project, all the modules have to refer to
> the parent pom with groupId, artifactId and version in the <parent/>
> tag, thus duplicating what is already defined in the parent pom. In
> addition, it's rather common for all the modules to share parent's
> groupId and version -- groupId is ok, but version changes quite often
> and going through all the modules and changing the common version seems
> cumbersome and unnecessary -- especially, that <relativePath/> tag could
> uniquely identify parent pom.
>
> Or is there an easier way to achieve the same effect?

The release plugin is supposed to do all the updates for you.

Max.