Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/02 03:54:02 UTC

Any reason to support Xcode pre-9 on cordova-ios@4 or cordova-osx?

From https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/issues/863 it is clear
that we are not allowed to use Xcode pre-9.0 with Apple's App Store. I
suspect there are also not too many volunteers testing on Xcode
pre-9.0. I just raised CB-14245 to drop support for Xcode pre-9.0.

Open questions on my side:
* Any reason not to drop Xcode pre-9.0 from cordova-ios@latest (4.5.x)
& Cordova 8.x iOS docs?
* Any reason not to drop Xcode pre-9.0 from next major release of cordova-osx?
* Any reason not to drop Xcode pre-9.0 from cordova-osx@latest (4.0.x)
& Cordova 8.x OSX docs?

Thanks to PMC members for the answers of my other questions so far.

Re: Any reason to support Xcode pre-9 on cordova-ios@4 or cordova-osx?

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
The only reason I can think is enterprise apps that are not distributed in
App Store or hobbyist that build the apps for themselves. In this cases
they might be using an older computer that can’t execute Xcode 9. But not
sure is worth the effort and we can remove some code not supporting it.
In barcode scanner plugin I made some changes to support iOS 11 that
weren’t compatible with Xcode 8 and 4-5 people complained about it even
though I told them Xcode 9 was going to be mandatory soon.

Also on macOS apps, a great percentage doesn’t distribute through the
store, but I don’t think cordova-osx has that many users.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
No to all.