Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Süß <ma...@ilabws.informatik.uni-leipzig.de> on 2002/10/23 13:29:48 UTC

svn update failure while importing kernel

Hi,

I am trying to test Subversion by importing the recent linux kernel series
(2.4.0 - 2.4.19, only the releases) into a repository. I am using a
(slightly modified, non-interactive) version of the svn_load_dirs.pl
script, subversion-r3200 (and updating to a newer version did not
help) and apache 2.0.43 on a linux server.

I am having two issues, neither of them I was able to find in your
issue-tracker so I am describing the first one here and the second in
my next mail.

In one of the last steps performed by the script it calls svn update and
after that gives me the following error:

./my_svn_load_dirs.pl: svn update failed with this output:
svn: RA layer request failed
svn: REPORT request failed on /svn/repos
svn: REPORT of /svn/repos: timed out waiting for server

If I try to run the script with fewer files it works just fine. A
workaround is to comment this line out, since I am not using tags this
works out ok, but nevertheless...

So is this a known issue? I am not going to speculate what timeout this
message refers to, the httpd is still working afterwards. If its a bug, I
could sure try to provide more information, just tell me what you need...

Michael Suess

Re: svn update failure while importing kernel

Posted by Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com>.

>./my_svn_load_dirs.pl: svn update failed with this output:
>svn: RA layer request failed
>svn: REPORT request failed on /svn/repos
>svn: REPORT of /svn/repos: timed out waiting for server
>
>If I try to run the script with fewer files it works just fine. A
>workaround is to comment this line out, since I am not using tags this
>works out ok, but nevertheless...
>
>So is this a known issue? I am not going to speculate what timeout this
>message refers to, the httpd is still working afterwards. If its a bug, I
>could sure try to provide more information, just tell me what you need...

I've seen this as well many times as well, but its seemingly random for
me and I haven't been able to track down the cause yet.  The only
difference is that I receive that error mostly during commits.

Re: svn update failure while importing kernel

Posted by Michael Süß <ma...@ilabws.informatik.uni-leipzig.de>.
On 23 Oct 2002, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Michael Süß <ma...@ilabws.informatik.uni-leipzig.de> writes:
>
> > I am trying to test Subversion by importing the recent linux kernel series
> > (2.4.0 - 2.4.19, only the releases) into a repository.
>
> You, and 50 other people.  :-)
Seems like it, its just too tempting...

> This is probably a known issue, #733, whereby a PROPFIND on a
> repository directory with a zillion entries takes too much
> memory/time, and thus neon times out.
I guess you meant #773, yes the descriptions seem to fit...

> > svn: RA layer request failed
> > svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> > svn: MERGE request failed on /svn/repos/linux
> > svn: MERGE of /svn/repos/linux: timed out waiting for server
> And this whole 1GB ram thing is bug #860, which is a memory leak I'm
> hunting down right now.
well, good hunting then...

Michael

Re: svn update failure while importing kernel

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Michael Süß <ma...@ilabws.informatik.uni-leipzig.de> writes:

> I am trying to test Subversion by importing the recent linux kernel series
> (2.4.0 - 2.4.19, only the releases) into a repository.

You, and 50 other people.  :-)

> ./my_svn_load_dirs.pl: svn update failed with this output:
> svn: RA layer request failed
> svn: REPORT request failed on /svn/repos
> svn: REPORT of /svn/repos: timed out waiting for server
>
> If I try to run the script with fewer files it works just fine. A
> workaround is to comment this line out, since I am not using tags this
> works out ok, but nevertheless...

The REPORT method is what the svn client sends when it wants to update
a working copy.  The server response indicates which files need to be
updated.