Posted to photark-dev@incubator.apache.org by Phillipe Ramalho <ph...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/05 05:25:23 UTC

[GSoC 2010] Project Proposal - Implement Search and Tagging Functionality

Hi everyone,

I'm willing spend this summer contributing to an open source project, so I
decided to apply for GSoC (again) this year.

I went through PhotArk (ran and tested it) and I think it's lacking of a
search functionality. I think a search functionality would help users to
find photos more quickly, mainly when there are hundreds/thousands of photos
in their galleries.

My idea is to implement a search app, exposed as service using Apache
Tuscany, which will be responsible for indexing photo metadata and search
execution.

This service would be optionally (whether the user wants search
functionality or not) used by photoark service, so  every new album/photo
added to it would be pushed to the search service and it would take care of
indexing it properly.

The user could use the service to search using a query string and it would
return URLs to the photos contained in the results. Optionally with some
extra info, haven't thought about that yet.

I plan to use Apache Lucene for indexing and search, because it's open
source and I already have some experience on it.

Adding up to the search functionality, I would like to implement a tagging
functionality, which would allow the user to attach some text (tag) to its
photos, this way providing more data to search for. The tags would also be
indexed/stored in the search index.

Well, these are my first ideas, I hope I have given a clear idea what I'm
planning for PhotArk if I get accepted on GSoC program this year.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

--
Phillipe Ramalho

Re: [GSoC 2010] Project Proposal - Implement Search and Tagging Functionality

Posted by Phillipe Ramalho <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adriano,

I will be more than happy to be mentored by you again :)

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Posted by Avdhesh <av...@avdheshyadav.com>.
On 05/02/2010 02:23 PM, Adriano Crestani wrote:
> Hi Phillipe,
>
> I'm glad to see you are back to GSoC...congratulations!!!.
>
> Luciano has told me about your project and invited me to co-mentor you
> during this summer, of course, only if you and all the other PhotArk
> community menbers are OK with it.
>
> So, for the others who don't know me, I have some contributions to Tuscany
> and Lucene projects. Last year I mentored Phillipe on his GSoC project at
> Tuscany, which was also related to text search functionality. This year I'm
> not ahead of any GSoC project at Tuscany and I will feel very happy to
> co-mentor Phillipe for the next few months, and maybe, contribute myself
> some code lines to PhotArk too : )
>
> Adriano Crestani
>
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Phillipe Ramalho<
> phillipe.ramalho@gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> Thanks Henry ;)
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Henry Saputra<henry.saputra@gmail.com
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> HI Phillipe,
>>>
>>> I have added your application to PhotArk wiki:
>>>

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PHOTARKxWIKI/Google+Summer+of+Code+2010+Applications
>>
>>> - Henry

>>> ideas

>> just
>>
>>> be

>>> may

>>> mentor,

>> luckbr1975@gmail.com

>>> project,

>> http://people.apache.org/%7Elresende><

>> --
>> Phillipe Ramalho

welcome Adriano.

+1 for co-mentoring Phillipe.

--
Avdhesh

Re: [GSoC 2010] Project Proposal - Implement Search and Tagging Functionality

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Phillipe,

Posted by Phillipe Ramalho <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Henry ;)

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
HI Phillipe,

Posted by Phillipe Ramalho <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Phillipe Ramalho <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Phillipe Ramalho <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thank you guys.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phillipe Ramalho <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'm almost finishing my proposal, it can be accessed here:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfzhwfv7_14qcsbzdx

Comments are welcome :)

I have a question: I see there are JIRAs opened for each GSoC project, is it
required a JIRA even if I have proposed the project? If so, can somebody
open a JIRA for me?

Thanks in advance,
Phillipe Ramalho

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Phillipe Ramalho <phillipe.ramalho@gmail.com