Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Николай Г. Петров" <ni...@cplus.ru> on 2012/04/23 12:23:51 UTC

which is better for virtual domains

Hey guys!
If there is a lot of virtual domains with many virtual users in it,
which is the better variant of configuration spamassassin about spam/ham:
   - individual database for each of users
   - or the same database for all of supported domains

And If I can I have one more question: is there any opportunity about
virtual users to manage their white_lists? (alternatively, via the web
interface)?

Re: which is better for virtual domains

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@truls.org>.
Please keep discussions on-list.

On 2012-04-23 20:44, "Николай Г. Петров" wrote:

> My mail system:
> OS: FreeBSD
> МТА: sendmail
> MDA: maildrop
> database: ldap (openldap)
> pop/imap: courier-imap

I still have no idea how you call spamassassin or spamc or if you use
some other method to connect to spamd.

>> -l -c -i 127.0.0.1 -m 3 --max-conn-per-child=5 --round-robin -u vmail
>> -x --virtual-config-dir='/corpmail/%d/.spamassassin/' -d -r ${pidfile}
>> -s /var/log/spamd.log

> , but in log I have a:

>> spamd[7256]: spamd: using default config for root:
>> /corpmail//.spamassassin//user_prefs
> Why 'root'?

Maybe because you haven't succesfully told spamd what user mail address
to scan the mail for, so it falls back to the default.

> Why domains is not apear?

Maybe because spamd don't know the domain.

> My question is: privious, you say that you save a awl in mysql - what is
> it 'awl' - auto-white-lists?

Yes, AWL is short for Auto White-List. (Wich is a bad name for it.)

> And may I save in ldap?

I don't know. I've never used SA with LDAP.

> I read manual about
> ldap database: I don't understand atribute:
>> spamassassin: add_header all Foo LDAP read
> What they mean from this example?
> It's a 'awl' or 'user_prefs' or 'somthing else'?

I have no idea where in what man-page you found that, so I have no
context at all.

> If I right understand I try to reach level on my mail system like this
> (please, if something is wrong, critic) ):

> /corpmail/domain1/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
> /corpmail/domain1/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
> /corpmail/domain1/.spamassassin/auto-whiltelist
> /corpmail/domain1/user/Maildir/user_prefs - (optionaly)

AFAICT you need to skip the optional one since you cant't keep multiple
user-dirs for one user, and in your scheme the domain is used insetad of
the user.

> I can automate train spamassassin from individual MDA filter per each of
> users, but normal mesage possible goto 'ham'.

I don't know what "normal mesage possible goto 'ham'" means here.

> Re-learn I think to configure with forward message to
> [spam|nospam]@doman[1|2].ru for each of domains, and by cron put some
> script which re-learn from folder spam|nospam on domains.

> How do you think it will work? Or may be some better idea?

I've done something similar myself. How good it works depends a lot on
your users.

/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman
http://www.truls.org/

Re: which is better for virtual domains

Posted by "Николай Г. Петров" <ni...@cplus.ru>.
23.04.2012 15:40, Jonas Eckerman написал:
> On 2012-04-23 12:23, "Николай Г. Петров" wrote:
>
>> If there is a lot of virtual domains with many virtual users in it,
>> which is the better variant of configuration spamassassin about
>> spam/ham:
>>    - individual database for each of users
>>    - or the same database for all of supported domains
>
> You forgot one option:
>  - individual database for each domain
>
> The answer depends on the situation (I assume you're asking about the
> bayes database(s)).
>
> If the users have separate bayes databases, will they actually train
> them? If the users doesn't train their databases, a common database
> could work a lot better than individual databases.
>
> How much does the mail streams for the domains have in common? If they
> have a lot in common it makes sense to have a common bayes database
> for them. Otherwise separate databases for each domain migh be better.
>
> Regards
> /Jonas
Thank you for your detailed response!
--

- yes, I mean bayes (possible user's 'whitelists from' in user_prefs)
- About individual database for each domains, I forgot

            -x - virtual-config-dir = '/corpmail/%d/.spamassassin/'

- count of users are not so many:
   domains: ~20
   users per domain ~40

- Is there actual possibility to users for train their bayes database if
they not realy access on the server? May be you know some client
interface(like web)?

Re: which is better for virtual domains

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@truls.org>.