Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com> on 2001/12/01 23:51:21 UTC

Re: installing ASP

> Dave wrote:
>
> Hi, I have Apache 1.3.xx and having alot of difficulty on installing the ASP thing.
>
> I've read and tried to follow the directions at http:Theory5.xxx.com and I am just a weee bit confused/irritated on what this guy is trying to tell
> me how to install Apache ASP.
> Could someone tell me step by step and in plain English how to install ASP?

Check out http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Win32%20%2F%20Wind0f0e8ac6
... download the latest perl-win32-bin-*.exe file.  You will find a README
in that distribution that explains step by step instructions from
that point on ... I followed them recently for my NT box, and things
worked great!

> I have Apache web server 1.3.xx, latest Perl version 5.6.xx,  Win2kPro sp2.

You will probably NOT need to do this then:

  http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#WinME%20%2F%2098%20%2Fdb672bf2

> I had to borrow ChiliASP to give me a hint, but that looking over the .ht thing and mod installs, I'm still confused.

You will not be able to run VBScript with Apache::ASP, ChiliASP is
for that.  Apache::ASP only supports perl scripting ASP.

--Josh

RE: Canned ASP applications / applets

Posted by Dariusz Pietrzak <da...@ajax.umcs.lublin.pl>.
> Are you aware of any "standards", de-facto or otherwise, for sharing
> calendar information?  For example, I participate in several groups that
> host monthly events, board of directors meetings, and other activities.
> Does RSS support an "event start" and "event end" fields?
There is something called 'iCalendar' that some apps seem to refer as to
standard.

> Has this problem already been solved?
it is so common that is should have been solved years ago, but all I've
seen is a bunch of calendaring apps doing great job, but terribly
incompatible between themselves ( what I'd like is single calendar in
web/gui and console form, and the console one should be stdin/stdout so I
can pipe it to speach syntheziser )

 --
Dariusz Pietrzak
snafu

RE: Canned ASP applications / applets

Posted by "John D. Leonard II" <jo...@ce.gatech.edu>.
Dariusz:

> This one here is just repackaged rss2html from XML::RSS module,
> made to fit style suggested by John Leonard.

Nice applet!

Are you aware of any "standards", de-facto or otherwise, for sharing
calendar information?  For example, I participate in several groups that
host monthly events, board of directors meetings, and other activities.
Does RSS support an "event start" and "event end" fields?

It would be nice to be able to merge these common calendars across (assuming
one or more sites) use the same calendar.

Has this problem already been solved?

Thanks,

JL

RE: Canned ASP applications / applets

Posted by Dariusz Pietrzak <da...@ajax.umcs.lublin.pl>.
This one here is just repackaged rss2html from XML::RSS module,
made to fit style suggested by John Leonard.

I still think it would be better to make those applets as regular perl
modules - that way it's trivial to precompile them into apache and solves
namespace problems.

--
Dariusz Pietrzak
snafu

RE: Canned ASP applications / applets

Posted by Dariusz Pietrzak <da...@ajax.umcs.lublin.pl>.
> The file includes =head1 =cut POD documentation (for use by "pod2html")
>
> You should be able to drop this INC into your "Global" directory and fire it
> up with:
>
> $Response->Include( "showdir.inc" );
This is great example,
 however here come the issue of namespaces - one couldn't use one's own
showdir.inc .. and with growing number of canned apps this would only
become worse.
 So how about some ugly standarisation - like aspplet_*sth*.inc or maybe
better - Apache::ASP::applets::showdir() .
 I hope someone comes up with something shorter and nicer ;)

--
Dariusz Pietrzak
snafu

RE: Canned ASP applications / applets

Posted by "John D. Leonard II" <jo...@ce.gatech.edu>.
All:

Attached is an example Apache::ASP applet that generates the following
strings:

  Home >> Membersonly >> Minutes

based on an input REQUEST_URI.  Each of the items (e.g., Home, Minutes) are
hyperlinked to the "/" default file in the respective subdirectories.
Through the argument list, the programmer has control over separator
character, and string substitutions for the directory names.  See the
documentation for examples and details.

The file includes =head1 =cut POD documentation (for use by "pod2html")

You should be able to drop this INC into your "Global" directory and fire it
up with:

$Response->Include( "showdir.inc" );

--> Joshua:  What are the next steps to create this applet library?

JL

Re: Canned ASP applications / applets

Posted by Dariusz Pietrzak <da...@ajax.umcs.lublin.pl>.
Hmm, how about something like this -
 you get single apps.asp file, that would call those canned apps,
this way you would just put this apps.asp, and call apps like
 apps.asp/guestbook, apps.asp/calendar.
Problem I am trying to solve with this is that with .inc files you
just get helpers, and with canned asp app I would like to have
almost-ready solution, preferably plugging nicely into existing
sessions.

--
Dariusz Pietrzak
snafu

Re: Canned ASP applications / applets

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
"John D. Leonard II" wrote:

> > Any more thoughts anyone?
>
> Your response just blew me away!  I can appreciate most of the nuances that
> you describe, however, most of it was well beyond my skill level.
>
> I think that the hardest part of this will be to develop a simple way for
> people to share their applets (and let people know that they have it to
> share.)

Let me get back to you on this.  I'll experiment some on what might
be the best way to develop simple applets like this for reusability.
Admittedly what I was talking about before needs to be simplified
greatly to cover a simple include like you are talking about.

Please understand though that the difference between a home grown
solution, and one that is well documented and reusable might be
anywhere from 3-9 times the work to produce, as suggested by
"The Mythical Man-Month", by Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.  I reference
it because I found it to be an extraordinary book about
software development.

Posted by "John D. Leonard II" <jo...@ce.gatech.edu>.
> Any more thoughts anyone?

Your response just blew me away!  I can appreciate most of the nuances that
you describe, however, most of it was well beyond my skill level.

I think that the hardest part of this will be to develop a simple way for
people to share their applets (and let people know that they have it to
share.)

Here are some implementation questions:

--> If I have a "tidy" .INC file (one that doesn't use GLOBAL.ASA), how can
I share it?

--> Is it "safe" if the script compiles under "use strict" or must I do
something else to help minimize namespace polution?

--> How do I start the POD documentation?  Simply put a "<% __END__ %>"
after my last </HTML>?

JL

Re: Canned ASP applications / applets

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
"John D. Leonard II" wrote:

> All:
>
> Has anyone created "cool" ASP mini-applications (or applets) for inclusion
> within larger Apache-ASP applications?  For example:  banner rotators,
> threaded message boards (with or without DBI), directory locators,
> on-the-fly directory thumbnail generators, etc.
>
> The ASP model is pretty cool, but I'm finding that I'm constantly writing
> these simple-type apps from scratch.  I think that it would be great to
> begin to compile a list of these mini-apps, and begin to address the problem
> of how to efficiently re-use these applets across web sites, and how to
> design new ASP sites to better take advantage of this code base.
>
> Perhaps we can collect these applets and include them in Joshua's "Examples"
> page, or even create a new section titled "Helper apps."

I like this idea, and believe that there could be a useful applet section
that could demo these.  There should be some "standard" that people should
create these applets with, and I do not think the sample apps section
in the distribution would conform to these standards.

The applets as you describe should be sub-applications, and fully
mixable with a parent Apache::ASP application where you could
just <% $Response->Include('helper.inc'); %> and that would be that.

To make an applet then I would suggest some guidelines:

 - no global.asa usage.  Applications get to use global.asa to
   control global web application behavior.  Applets must be
   reusable site to site so must not need to override global
   web application behaviour.

 - documented via perldoc Apache::ASP::Applet::$Name

 - approved / registered namespace, a perl package might
   look like Apache::ASP::Applet::*, with XMLSubs looking like
   <applet:* args=/>, files looking like applet/$registered/files*,
   and PerlSetVar configs like Applet$Registered$Key $Value

   As an example then for the WebForm applet

     perl module Apache::ASP::Applet::WebForm
     xml sub looks like <applet:webform args="" />
     applet include  applet/webform.inc or applet/webform/main.inc
     custom config  PerlSetVar AppletWebFormAutoRender 1

   Thinking on this some more, I am not sure that applets should
   create the own XMLSubs namespace, because that would necessarily
   affect the global XMLSubsMatch directive, and one rule would be
   to not affect global app settings.  So to support the notion
   of applets in this way, it may be that we have an auto applet
   XMLSubs loader created configured with:

     PerlSetVar XMLSubsApplet 1

   which might behave similar to a yet to be created config:

     PerlSetVar XMlSubsMatchFile  applet::[\w\:]+

   Which would automatically create an XMLSubs for the <applet:*>
   namespace, and each function would automatically map to

     <applet::webform />
     $main::Response->Include('applet/webform.inc', $args, $html);

     <applet::webform::db />
     $main::Response->Include('applet/webform/db.inc');

   To support this notion better, it may be that we start to have
   include files loadable from the perl library tree, such that
   all applet files could be installed under $perllib/Apache/ASP/applet/*
   To this end, we might have a runtime path search for where Apache::ASP
   is installed, and add that directory to the IncludesDir path temporarily.

Any more thoughts anyone?

Posted by Philip Mak <pm...@aaanime.net>.
On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, John D. Leonard II wrote:

> Has anyone created "cool" ASP mini-applications (or applets) for inclusion
> within larger Apache-ASP applications?  For example:  banner rotators,
> threaded message boards (with or without DBI), directory locators,
> on-the-fly directory thumbnail generators, etc.

There's a cool mod_perl compatible message board system here (totally
free; uses MySQL): http://www.mwforum.com/

It's not written in Apache::ASP, but maybe mod_perl is close enough for
what you are doing. You can see a live site that runs the forum here:
http://www.animelyrics.com/forum/

Canned ASP applications / applets

Posted by "John D. Leonard II" <jo...@ce.gatech.edu>.
All:

Has anyone created "cool" ASP mini-applications (or applets) for inclusion
within larger Apache-ASP applications?  For example:  banner rotators,
threaded message boards (with or without DBI), directory locators,
on-the-fly directory thumbnail generators, etc.

The ASP model is pretty cool, but I'm finding that I'm constantly writing
these simple-type apps from scratch.  I think that it would be great to
begin to compile a list of these mini-apps, and begin to address the problem
of how to efficiently re-use these applets across web sites, and how to
design new ASP sites to better take advantage of this code base.

Perhaps we can collect these applets and include them in Joshua's "Examples"
page, or even create a new section titled "Helper apps."

Comments and/or suggestions?  Thanks!

JL