Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2006/05/09 21:00:29 UTC

[m2.0.x] Any way to give hints to change the order of repos for downloads per artifact?

Hi,

Problem Description
-----------------------

I have a few repositories some of which are for snapshots and others for
release jars.  Right now downloads will hit each server for each
artifact when the artifact is only on one of these servers.  This slows
down the build and it also makes for a lot of noise on the console.
Furthermore I think it needlessly pumps out a lot of [WARNING] messages
which the user can be spared.

Possible Solution

If there was a way to optionally label a dependency with a preferred
repository, then maven could bump that repository to the head of the
list while trying to download the artifact.  This way a pom can be fine
tuned to reduce the unnecessary lookups for artifacts at repositories
that definitely don't host the artifact.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Alex