Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> on 2017/05/23 09:09:41 UTC

Spread SolrCloud across two locations

Hi,

A customer has two locations (a few km apart) with super-fast networking in-between, so for day-to-day operation they view all VMs in both locations as a pool of servers. They typically spin up redundant servers for various services in each zone and if a zone should fail (they are a few km apart), the other will just continue working.

How can we best support such a setup with Cloud and Zookeeper?
They do not need (or want) CDCR since latency and bandwidth is no problem, and CDCR is active-passive only so it anyway requires manual intervention to catch up if indexing is switched to the passive DC temporarily.
If it was not for ZK I would setup one Cloud cluster and make sure each shard was replicated cross zones and all would be fine.
But ZK really requires a third location in order to tolerate loss of an entire location/zone.
All solutions I can think of involves manual intervention, re-configuring of ZK followed by a restart of the surviving Solr nodes in order to point to the “new” ZK.

How have you guys solved such setups?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com