Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Gendron <To...@Sun.COM> on 2009/06/23 21:05:50 UTC

Having login trouble to tomcat

Hi,

Just installed Tomcat on to my Mac and am having trouble logging into
Tomcat. The work around is clearly provided for this in  many places but
I have not been able to apply the work around with success.

Tomcat starts up with out trouble and I can view the index page at
address localhost:8080. When I select the status link off that page I am
challenged for a user and password.  I enter tomcat/tomcat for
user/password per my entry in the tomcat-users.xml file. Unfortunately
I  fail to get past the prompt.

Here is a snip of my tomcat-users file.

cd /Library/Tomcat/Home/conf
vi tomcat-users.xml
<tomcat-users>
<!--
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,admin,manager"/>
  <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
  <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
-->
</tomcat-users>

I have cleared all the "private" data in the browser (Firefox 3.0.11) I
have even rebooted, cycled tomcat, still can't get past the login.

The rest of my set up is this:

Mac OS X 10. 5.7
Java version "1.5.0_16"
apache-tomcat-6.0.20

I don't see anything wrong in the logs. Any suggestions as to how I
might debug this problem?

Tom Gendron
Systems Engineering
Sun Microsystems