Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> on 2001/10/01 13:40:51 UTC

Version 1.4.1 Beta available

I have uploaded a beta for 1.4.1 here
http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/jakarta-ant/release/v1.4.1b1/

This has been built on Linux (RedHat 7.1) so that is a bit new for me.
Let me know of any problems. Actually I won't be able to do much about
them since I will be offline for a little while :-) I'll address any
issues when I get back online and proceed with a 1.4.1 release.

Conor

Re: evaluation on demand in 2.0

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:39, Holger Engels wrote:
> possible solution:
>
> -> evaluate the path definition on demand - probably more than once a
>    build
>

> rationale:
>
> -> a target depends on a path, the same way as targets depend on other
> targets
>

> Discussion?

We talked about (and I think we agreed?) that there should be 3 phases;
definition, resolution and usage.

Ie the following would define it
  <path id="some.path">
    <pathelement path="${build.classpath}/" />
    <fileset dir="${build}/lib">
      <include name="*.jar" />
    </fileset>
  </path>

However it wouldn't be resolved until actually used. This resolution could
happen as task executes or via something like

<property name="..." value="${some.path}"/>

which would resolve the value (ie create list of files in path).

This could be applied universally to any types that implement Resolvable. So
it definetly sounds like a good idea! ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

 Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence...

Re: evaluation on demand in 2.0

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Holger Engels <he...@mercatis.de> wrote:

> A path definition, that contains a fileset might depend on the time,
> it is evaluated:

Right, but starting with Ant 1.4 this is not that big a problem
anymore as you can now define data types inside of <target>s.  You
simply wouldn't define the path of your example before you knew that
${build}/lib contained all the jars you need.

> -> evaluate the path definition on demand - probably more than once
> -> a build

I think this is part of our Ant2 vision.

Stefan

evaluation on demand in 2.0

Posted by Holger Engels <he...@mercatis.de>.
A path definition, that contains a fileset might depend on the time, it is
evaluated:

  <path id="some.path">
    <pathelement path="${build.classpath}/" />
    <fileset dir="${build}/lib">
      <include name="*.jar" />
    </fileset>
  </path>

One of four things might happen:

1. {build} has not been mkdir-ed -> build fails
2. {build}/lib exists, but is still empty
3. {build}/lib contains the contents from a previous ant-call
4. if the target, that generates {build}/lib has executed already,
   the path will contain the current set of jars

This makes path definitions (maybe other datatype usage, too) less
helpful, they could be.

possible solution:

-> evaluate the path definition on demand - probably more than once a
   build

rationale:

-> a target depends on a path, the same way as targets depend on other
targets

Discussion?

Holger