Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robin Pellatt <pe...@mirocs.com> on 2005/07/27 08:56:52 UTC

Please help - Re: Hang on commit

Could somebody please try to explain this, it's driving me nuts.  Every time I
commit now, SVN hangs on "Transmitting file data", then I have to break out by
forcibly closing the DOS box (CTRL-C doesn't work), then run svn cleanup and svn
up, and if I'm lucky I'm left with a viable working copy.  But on the next
commit, it's back to square one, even from a totally different working copy.
What's up here?

Robin Pellatt wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I seem to have somehow got my repository into an odd state, but can't
> work out how to fix it.
>
> First the details:
>
> WinXP
> SVNServe
> Subversion 1.2.0
> FSFS
> I'm the only user of this repository
>
> Now the problem:
>
> Yesterday I halted a commit from the command line with CTRL-C.  Now
> every time I try to check in, whether it's from Tortoise or the command
> line, the operation hangs.
>
> Symptoms are (while trying to commit a new directory with some files in
> it):
>
> I get as far as "Transmitting file data....", but nothing further happens.
> The commit appears to be pretty much complete, because I can see my new
> files with Tortoise' repo-browser, at the new revision number.
> However, if I do 'svn st' from another DOS box, it shows the new files
> as though they have not been committed yet ('A'). It also shows that the
> new directory is locked ('L'), but also shows that all other directories
> in the directory where I've added the new one are also locked, even
> though they weren't in the commit.
>
> If I break out of the commit, I can then do 'svn cleanup', but now my
> working copy seems to be out of step with the repository.  Trying 'svn
> up' gives "failed to add directory 'x': object of the same name already
> exists.
>
> The only way I seem to be able to get everything back in sync again is
> to delete my working copy from the next directory up, then run 'svn
> up'.  This then gives me a correct working copy, complete with the new
> directory and files that I just added.
>
> So it rather looks as though the commit has worked on the repository
> side, but then something is preventing my working copy from being
> properly updated.
>
> So, any ideas anyone?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Robin.

mirocs OHG
Development, Services and Trade

Am Krebsgraben 15
78048 Villingen-Schwenningen
Germany

Phone	+49 (0) 7721 / 99827 - 52
Fax	+49 (0) 7721 / 99827 - 60

e-Mail    pellatt@mirocs.com
Internet  www.mirocs.com

Re: Please help - Re: Hang on commit

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 27, 2005, at 11:19 AM, Robin Pellatt wrote:

> No, I waited at least 10 minutes, and the commit was only a couple
> of files. Does the delay depend on the size of the working copy,
> the size of the repository, or the size of the commit?  I'm
> assuming it's the last one.

So try eliminating some variables.  Try doing a checkout and
subsequent commit using file:/// urls on the server machine.  Make
sure that the repository is healthy.  Once you're sure of that, then
you can start debugging network problems.

Re: Please help - Re: Hang on commit

Posted by Robin Pellatt <pe...@mirocs.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.