Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/01 19:10:50 UTC

asciidoc manual

I've been experimenting with converting the user manual to asciidoc.  On
balance, I think the resulting html and pdf are better than our existing
ones, and the maintenance will be easier.  For a preview, see

http://people.apache.org/~billie/asciidoc_user_manual

In particular
http://people.apache.org/~billie/asciidoc_user_manual/accumulo_user_manual.html
and
http://people.apache.org/~billie/asciidoc_user_manual/accumulo_user_manual.pdf

To generate these documents, I installed asciidoc, dblatex, and
source-highlight, then ran the following commands.

To generate html: asciidoc -a toc -d book accumulo_user_manual.txt
To generate xml: asciidoc -a toc -b docbook -d book accumulo_user_manual.txt
To generate pdf: dblatex -tpdf accumulo_user_manual.xml

Thoughts?

Billie

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think it looks great, but my only concern is how easily is this
> automated, without a lot of manual package installation and setup. I'd
> want to make it easy for developers to simply check out the project
> and build, without a lot of forethought, like it is to do with some of
> the more often used maven plugins for documentation (doxia). I'd like
> anybody to be able to check out the project and fix a typo in the
> documentation, and test how it looks, without installing a lot of
> extra packages.
>
> (Note: this is currently not easily done with the existing system, as
> pdflatex and other tools are required to be installed in advance, so
> I'm glad we're looking outside of LaTeX, for that reason. I just
> wouldn't want to move laterally in this regard, if we can move
> upwards.)

At this point, I wouldn't mind a lateral move that is more easily
maintainable.  I haven't detailed the current process of translating latex
to html, but it is probably worse than you imagine.  Basically, I want a
simple solution that will make it so I don't have to do the manual
latex/html translation process one more time for 1.5.0 (a process that
creates imperfect html anyhow).  The asciidoc solution also has the benefit
of making more consistent pdf and html versions than we have now.

Based on a superficial initial look at doxia, it seems like we're going to
have to give up something to use it for generating html and pdf formats,
i.e. we may have to maintain the manual in xml format instead of plain
text.  I would rather not do that.  But if that's not true, or if someone
makes a really compelling argument for how much better things could be if
we start with xml, we could consider switching in the future.

Billie

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Adam Fuchs <af...@apache.org>.

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
I actually really liked that highlighting :X

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I like the asciidoctor-maven-plugin, but agree the PDF limitation is a
big issue. Doxia has APT (Almost Plain Text) support, which is similar
to Asciidoc. I'd like to investigate that option, as well.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@gmail.com>.

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
I regenerated the asciidoc html and pdf with different settings:
http://people.apache.org/~billie/asciidoc_user_manual/

I managed to address the toc depth issue and to give the html syntax
highlighting a more muted color scheme.  However, although I've set a max
width for the html, the verbatim-style lines still won't wrap.  I also
tried a new theme (based on Keith's discovery).

Billie

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM, David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The new documents look good but can you turn off java highlighting? I find
> the different colors distracting.

Are there any specific colors that are bothering you?  I don't know if this
is configurable, but we could look into it.  For example, I find the colors
in the pdf much more pleasing than the colors in the html, which are
totally different.  The bright red for string literals seems unnecessary.

Billie

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/1/13 1:59 PM, Billie Rinaldi wrote:
>
>> >I think the only things that stands out at me are that the tables are a
>>> "Entity-Attribute
>>> something
>>> notion
>>> >

>> What do you dislike about the tables?  Asciidoc tables aren't very
>> configurable, but there are a few things that can be changed.  Do you mean
>> grid lines for the table, lines between each column and row?  We can add
>> those, the options are "none", "rows", "cols" or "all".  I'll try adding
>> row lines and see if it helps.
>>

>>  Yes, the lack of row and column outlines. I think that's what is sitting
> odd with me. Perhaps the lack of a table outline on the left and right side
> of the table, too. The table comes across as a paragraph of text instead of
> a tightly structured element.
>
> This is just my gut feeling. If others think it looks fine, that's ok too
> :)

I agree having the left and right sides missing made it look kind of
funny.  I updated the version at ~billie with walls and row lines.

Billie

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice! Those code snippets look awesome.

Yeah, I really like the syntax highlighting and that it comes through in
both the html and the pdf.

Re: asciidoc manual

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: asciidoc manual