Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Payal Rathod <pa...@staticky.com> on 2004/01/06 03:43:33 UTC

[users@httpd] open proxy

Hi,
Whenever I try to connect to the freenode irc server
I am rejected saying that I have a open proxy running on machine on port
80. On port 80 apache is running. Is it possible that apache is acting
like a proxy? I am not that familar with apache and use it just for
webmail client and publishing logs.
I read through some docs and found that ProxyRequests might be the key
to my problem. Upon doing some greping on the machine (Mandrake 9.2) I
found,
 # pwd
 /etc/httpd/conf.d
 # grep -ir ProxyRequest *
 30_mod_proxy.conf:ProxyRequests Off

 It is set to Off. What is wrong then? Are there some more parameters
 required?

 Thanks a lot in advance and waiting eagerly for some input on this.
 With warm regards,
 -Payal

--
For GNU/Linux Success Stories and Articles visit:
          http://payal.staticky.com

Re: [users@httpd] open proxy

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Payal Rathod wrote:
> Whenever I try to connect to the freenode irc server
> I am rejected saying that I have a open proxy running on machine on port
> 80. On port 80 apache is running. Is it possible that apache is acting
> like a proxy? I am not that familar with apache and use it just for
> webmail client and publishing logs.
> I read through some docs and found that ProxyRequests might be the key
> to my problem. Upon doing some greping on the machine (Mandrake 9.2) I
> found,
>  # pwd
>  /etc/httpd/conf.d
>  # grep -ir ProxyRequest *
>  30_mod_proxy.conf:ProxyRequests Off
>
>  It is set to Off. What is wrong then? Are there some more parameters
>  required?

I don't know how Mandrake sets up its apache conf files, but are you sure
you looked through all of them?  Have you tried disabling mod_proxy
entirely?

You can easily est if your server is really an open proxy simply by
pointing your own browser-proxy configuration at it, or by doing:

telent yourserver 80
GET http://www.yahoo.com/ HTTP/1.0
Host: www.yahoo.com

and see if you get back yahoo or your own homepage.

Joshua.