Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alex McLintock <al...@arcfan.demon.co.uk> on 2001/11/18 12:37:55 UTC

More Examples plea

Hi folks,

This is a plea for more simple examples of how and when to use Cocoon. I've
gone through the
documentation for 2.0rc2 and get most of the details - I think. I have for
example taken
the slashdot news example and created a new page which displays news from
my slashcode
site http://news.DiverseBooks.com/diversebooks.xml
What I'm missing is the big picture.

For instance I'm a bit worried by Cocoon's lack of a content management
system so that
document authors  can add documents to the system in a structured and
traceable way,
but I suppose a separate one could be bolted on and use the file system as the
interface between the two systems....

Anyway....

Take for example my problem which I am using to learn Cocoon.

I have a bunch of photos of novelists which I am turning into a website and
hopefully pdf booklet. (I am doing this for a literary  non-profit
organisation so do volunteer help :-)

I have very little data at the moment other than the picture, location,
approx date photo taken,
who took the photo, copyright holder (typically the photographer), but in
the future I'd like
to link to a bibliographic database, link to reviews of their work (some of
which are on my sites,
but may also involve a wider list of reviews elsewhere) and so on.
It seems natural to me to put all this info in an xml file, or files
(plural) so that I can use xsl/xslt
to create html pages, and fo/pdf pages for each author.

My problem now is how to best structure this info. A lot of the info is
specific to the photo -
and at the moment I only have one photo per novelist. If I stick to one
photo per novelist and one
xml file per photo, I then have one xml file per page and I believe I can
set this up in Cocoon2
with some fiddling of the sitemap file and one or two xsl files in the
pipeline.

But is that the right way about it? Should all the info be in seperate xml
files or just one big one?
(That would be harder on the sax parser presumably). How do I cope with the
situation where
I have more than one photo of the same novelist? Should I have xml files
for each novelist,
and xml files for each photo and use *both* of them in FileGenerators to
create a page?

How do I list the pages available? Would I have to create a separate list
in a database or
is there an easy way of indexing all the xml files.... presumably if there
was just one xml
database it would be easy to list all the novelists....

Newbie advice welcome.

Alex McLintock

Re: More Examples plea

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.ch>.
Yes, it is a refactored XPS based on Cocoon2. We wanted to get a few
things done before  we "release" it. The plan is the following:

-Writing an Authenticator- and Authorizer-Action which are calling
the AccessController of XPS.

-Rebuilding the "URL-space" within Cocoon2: Authoring, Staging,
Production/Live

-Writing Read- and Write-Actions for the editors Xopus and HTMLFormEditor,
which are calling the RevisionController of XPS

-Writing "something" to connect to the WorkflowManager

-Creating a  nice sample publication (NYTIMES) and a tutorial how to
create your own publication.

By the way: Where do I set the flag for automatic class reloading for
classes within   "webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/classes"   ???

Thanks a lot

Michael

RE: More Examples plea

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Re: More Examples plea

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.ch>.

Re: More Examples plea

Posted by Tomas Espeleta <to...@digival.es>.
> > Concerning CMS (Content Management System) you have to wait
> > till X'mas.
> what do you mean with until X'max. Is there a CMS in development
> for C2?

What about:
http://webeditor.sourceforge.net

Did you try it?