Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Jeremy Hanna <je...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/04 21:24:46 UTC

set default_parallel or let pig set it

According to http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.8.1/cookbook.html#Use+the+Parallel+Features there are two ways for pig to determine the number of reducers to use:
1- set default_parallel and/or PARALLEL
2- let pig calculate it

What do people generally use right now?  Is there a preferred option?

Re: set default_parallel or let pig set it

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
Definitely set it yourself.  Pig does a poor job of calculating it.  The Pig calculation is only provided as a backstop when users forget (or don't yet know) to set it.  At some point in the future we'd like to provide good default parallel settings, but we have a ways to go before we get there.

Alan.