Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lucy Marney <l_...@hotmail.com> on 2002/06/12 06:05:37 UTC

Tomcat load estimates/load balancing question

Hi all,

I have a quick question regarding the estimated load of Tomcat 4.0 - running
behind Apache 1.3.22, using the WARP connector, and both on the same machine
(Linux).

I have read alot about the inability of mod_webapp to do serious load
balancing - I've gathered that production-style scalability can only be
achieved through the use of the mod_jk connector.

However, I can't seem to find any explicit estimations of the kind of load
to be expected when using the above setup - in terms of concurrent servlet
requests by muliple clients/machines.  How many concurrent connections are
we talking about here?  Or more specifically, where does the line fall
between "production use" and "normal use".  I know this is probably a
personal/context-related issue, but I was interested in just how much you
can bash Tomcat 4.0 before hassles arise.

My question is sparked by problems in our own setup, whereby concurrent
requests for the same servlet result in an internal error (NullPointer
exception, that was previously not a problem) - after only about 10-15
consecutive requests each.  I'm still trying to track down any possibilities
of client/server code errors.

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lucy

Re: Tomcat load estimates/load balancing question

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
The bug is on occurs when a web browser does not POST the enough data.
Apache is OK - but tomcat does not detect this error and goes into an
infinite loop and takes the httpd process along for the ride. This is
fixed in 4.0.4b3.

-Tim

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>