Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Shajahan <sh...@yahoo.co.in> on 2006/04/16 16:04:50 UTC

search pdf

Hi,
can i use Lucene for searching text in PDF.

Re: search pdf

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
There _is_ a README file at the root of the unzipped Lucene In Action
code.   It does require some basic Java and Ant know-how.

	Erik

RE: search pdf

Posted by Aditya Liviandi <ad...@i2r.a-star.edu.sg>.
Please take a moment to learn java and how to use java APIs.

After that, re-read the emails you just sent us, and answer your own
question.

i am very sorry for asking again, but i am new to this Lucene. please
tell
me how to run this code. i downloaded this LuceneInAction zip file. and
didnot find any readme file for instructions. and i am also downloaded
the
lucene-1.4.3 also.

so please tell me how to run this code.

thanking you,
Shajahan

------------ Institute For Infocomm Research - Disclaimer -------------
This email is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately. Please do not copy or use it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you.

Re: search pdf

Re: search pdf

Posted by Malcolm Clark <ma...@btinternet.com>.
URL for all the source code:

http://www.lucenebook.com/LuceneInAction.zip

Re: search pdf

Posted by karl wettin <ka...@snigel.net>.

http://lucenebook.com/

> and please tell me the Instaletion of that Lucene

I'm not sure I understand your question. How to install Lucene?
Lucene is not something you install and run. It is an API and you
have to do a bit of coding in order for Lucene to do something.
Perhaps Egothor (another open search engine written in Java) suits
better if you just want it working out of the box.

Re: search pdf

Posted by Shajahan <sh...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hi,
Thank you for your replay.i am new to this Lucene & PDF. if u dontmin please
tell me where i can get the demo file. please give me the URL.

and please tell me the Instaletion of that Lucene

Thankingyor,
Shajahan

Re: search pdf

Posted by Malcolm Clark <ma...@btinternet.com>.
Hi,
You have to parse/index the PDF files and then you can search  the index
with Lucene.
Have a look at Lucene in Action and the source code which comes with
it.There is a good demo which parses common formats such as PDF,Word XML
etc.
Cheers,
MC

Re: search pdf

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Apr 16, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Shajahan wrote:
> can i use Lucene for searching text in PDF.

Yes, indirectly.  The PDF must be parsed into the text to be indexed
first.  PDFBox does this nicely.  Check the Lucene in Action codebase
for examples.

	Erik